Chapter Twenty Seven

I followed Lincoln out to the kitchen, where Peter and Maggie are making sandwiches.

"Kitten guess what? I'm going to live with my Auntie Jamie!" Maggie said excitedly. I gave her a small smile, trying to hide the sadness that crept up on me, and walked over and took a seat.

"I heard, that's pretty awesome." I said, as Peter set down a plate with a sandwich in front of me. I smiled up at him and he winked at me before grabbing Lincoln a plate. "Where did dad go?" I asked, after taking a look around and noticing him missing.

"He left, after talking to you guys." Maggie said.

"He did?" I asked.

"Yeah, he seemed upset." She said.

I took a bite of my sandwich, chewing slowly. It didn't seem as appetizing now, it tasted more like sawdust. I knew why dad was upset and it turned my stomach knowing that I was the cause of it. I put my sandwich down and stood up.

"You okay, Kitten?" Peter asked.

"Yeah, I'm just going to get my phone. I want to text dad." I said walking towards my room, where I left my phone this morning.

Walking over to the night stand, I picked up my phone and unhooked it from the charger. Pressing the home button I am shocked to see 17 text messages. Sitting down on the edge of my bed, I scroll through the messages. There was 3 from Marsha, 1 from Ferg, 2 from Emily, 3 from 2 numbers I didn't know, and 8 from Conner. I quickly read Marsha and Fergs texts, basically asking where I was and if I was okay and Ferg will bring my homework to me after school. I read the 3 unknown texts, which turned out to be Eric and Jake, How they managed to get my number is a mystery. They were teasing me about skipping school and being with Peter and Lincoln all day today. Emily asked where I was and scolded me for not inviting her to skip with us. I saved Conner's for last, almost afraid to read them after how upset he was this morning. Finally I took a deep breath and opened the first one. He apologized for blowing up at me this morning, Then asked if we were still going to the dance together, then the rest were asking why I was ignoring him. I sighed exhaustively and quickly sent him a text telling him that I wasn't ignoring him, I left my phone at home, and that as far as I know we were still going to the dance together unless he changed his mind. Afterwards I sent a quick text to dad asking if he was okay. He replied immediately, telling me he was fine and at Sam's house. Putting my phone in my pocket I went back to the kitchen.

"Do either of you know how Jake and Eric have my number?" I ask sitting down at the table with the boys.

"Nope."

"Jake has your number?" Peter asked narrowing his eyes. He pulls out his phone and types away on it before setting it down on the table.

"Ferg is coming over with my homework." I said.

"Is Marsha coming with him?" Lincoln asked tensing up.

"No, she has a project due tomorrow, so she is going straight home." I reply.

"So Kitten, what are we watching today?"

"Didn't we agree on Empire Records and Dazed and Confused already? You need to see them before you leave."

"I don't remember this agreement."

"It was just before we were busted for talking in Mr Ross's class."

"Do I have to?"

"Yes, so shut up and accept it. You can thank me later." I said. Lincoln looks at me with a grin as Peter sighs in defeat.

Getting up I make my way into the living room to scan through our small collection of DVD's. I could hear the chairs scrap against the floor, a sign that Peter and Lincoln are following me. Peter flops down on the couch beside Maggie, getting comfortable. She looks up from the textbook that she is currently studying and sticks her tongue out at Peter, before returning to the book.