Chapter 32: Hypocrisy

"It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit." ― Noël Coward

Taryn's POV

Taryn stared at Tamara Asker, looking as guilty as charged. She looks despondent and lost. She looks like she didn't even bother to have a shower. With the same outfit since the other day, she doesn't seem to care. "I'm sorry," theia Tamara choked as she looks down on her lap, avoiding my gaze. Two words and it cut deep wounds in my heart. 

My heart clenched for her and at the same time, enraged. They selfishly took my twenty-five years of life away from my own family. I grew up with grudges growing in my heart thinking I was abandoned. I live with bitterness and envy, full of revenge. 

"Sorry?" I choked out, holding my temper at bay. My jaws stinging from clenching it too tightly trying to hold the urge to unleash my anger at her. Stifling the tears as I stared furiously at her, she shook her head without looking up. Her eyes still trained down on her lap. 

I stood up brusquely, my chest felt like it's going to explode from all the negative emotions build up. The chair toppled backwards and the door swung open. I ignored the two police officers stalked inside towards me. Clenching my hands tightly as I propped it on the desk between us and loomed over her angrily. "Sorry? You made me believe that I was a bastard child." A stray tear rolled down my cheeks involuntarily, mixed emotions overwhelming me, my body shaking uncontrollably with all the anger and frustrations building up in my system. All the respect and love I felt for this woman in front of me vanished into thin air. I felt nothing but anger. The two police officers stop before they could reach me. I didn't bother to look at them as I hovered over the woman I thought was my aunt who was staring at me with guilt, sadness, and emotions that I don't want to entertain. She lied to me all those years and controlled over my life. They stole me from my true family and cut it out my rights from them. "My life was all a lie and you think your sorry would give it back the lost years you took it away from my own family?" I said, clenching my teeth.

She just sucked in her breath but didn't say anything. "Why?" I asked softly yet grimly after a long tense silence.

Tears started rolling down on her cheeks blinding her as she stared at me, guiltily. She swallowed hard  and remained silent. She seems to contemplate and the sound of her soft sobs starting to make me feel guilty but at the same time, exasperated. Standing straight, I stared at her, disappointed. "Tara got miscarriage while she was doing a surgery. She was stressed out on how will she tell Xandrous about the baby and then the news came that he's dating Ashley Averill. Then when she came to see him, Xandrous shows no interest or any recognition and that hurt her so much." She smiles bitterly and I was shaking my head. The way she spoke I could sense the burning hatred in her tone, the same feelings I felt as I grow up towards my own father, my own family. "When she came back, with you, from Mexico, I was surprised. Since when did she get pregnant? I never heard of her dating anyone because I know she's madly and insanely in love with Zandros Mailov. I waited for her to tell me the truth. She was always tense up whenever you leave the house to play with your friends, and when she couldn't hold it anymore, she told me that she stole you, right when you were born. The Mailov has no idea about you since they were both unconscious. My brother Lorenzo took care of it, but as they say, no secrets that cannot be revealed." I was so tempted to go meet up with the Mailov and ask for an apology, but seeing my sister's love for you, she looks so happy and glowing as she stared at you, I decided not to. And I come to love you and your presence brought light to our house. You brought happiness to us and I've never seen my sister as happy as she is when she's with you." She smiled bitterly, her eyes shining with love and I felt pity for her. "As you grow up, my anxiety grew. I saw all the features of the Mailov in you and I know this day would come, but I never have the guts to tell you, until today." She brought her restrained hands up and with her finger, she wipes the tears away. "I'm sorry, Taryn. I hope you find it in your heart to forgive me and my sister Tara. She loves you like her own," she continued on between tears.