Break-Up

Alison's POV

It has been about 3 months since me and Emily got together. We  had been on many different dates, all of which we gained many happy memories that we now share together. Recently I had started to notice that Emily's grades had started to slip and with only a few months till we graduate from high school this wasn't good. I knew for a fact I was the one distracting her, she was spending too much time with me when she should be studying. I know we have been studying together but I can see that she is getting too distracted. There was only one way that I could help her in this situation, I had to end this relationship so that she could get her scholarship, this is all she wanted in life and if I am becoming too much of a distraction to her then this is for the best even though it physically pained me just thinking about it.

Later that day I was sat at the desk in my bedroom where I was studying for a test we had the next day and I heard Emily walk through the front door, according to my dad she no longer had to knock on the door anymore so she just came around when ever she pleased. I heard her walking up the stairs and I tried to mentally prepare myself in that short space of time for what was going to happen next.

"Hey beautiful" She greeted me as she put her bags down at the side of my bed. 

"Hey" I replied quietly but my eyes didn't leave my text book, I couldn't look at her because  I would just feel a wave of guilt rushing through me and if I felt that then I wouldn't be able to do the right thing.

"Studying hard I can see?" Emily stated as she stood next to me.

"Yeah, we have that test tomorrow, you should probably study too" I said a little too bluntly but she didn't get what I was trying to do.

"I was thinking maybe we could study later?" she asked me in that flirty tone that she knows makes me weak but I couldn't give in.

"No sorry, we need to study because we have a few more months before we graduate and I can't afford getting bad grades" I told her .

"Pleaseeeee" she whined as she fiddled with my hair.

"Em, stop please" I said as I stood up "Don't make this harder than it already is" I muttered and looked to the ground.

"Make what harder Ali?" I simply couldn't respond to her, I felt like my mouth had been glued shut.

"Alison, what are you talking about" She questioned me again and took a step closer to me, she lifted her hand so that she could take mine but I stepped back.

"Im so so sorry Em but I don't think I can do this anymore" I finally blurted out.

There was silence.

"I know that your grades have been slipping recently and I don't want us, I mean I don't want me distracting you. You even said so yourself that it is you dream to get a scholarship and if I am in the picture I just don't think it will end the way you want it to. I'm sorry" I finished and sat at the end of my bed. I looked up at my now ex girlfriend and that's when I knew I had officially broken her heart. Again.

Emily's POV 

"....Im sorry" 
I stared blankly at Alison and felt all of the colour drain from my face, I felt my heart literally split into two and I felt my eyes beginning to fill with tears. 

"No, no no no you are not a distraction to me Ali!" I almost shouted once I had finally took in what had just been said. I moved closer to her so that I could try and explain my point more clearly but every time I got closer she moved away.

"I am Emily, I'm sorry but this is for the best" she tried to explain.

"For the best?!" I sarcastically laughed "Ali, you are my life, how the hell is this for the best? Without you I am no longer me, this will make my grades fall even more no doubt about it" I tried to explain to her.

"Emily please, you're making this so much harder than I wanted it to be, I just want you to d..." But I cut her off.

"Do you still love me?" I asked, this got her attention. She finally stood up and looked me directly in the eyes and took hold of my hands.

"Of course I still love you, that's the whole reason I am doing this"

"I don't understand...If you love me then why split up with me" I questioned and shook my head.

"Because I want you to get what you want in life"

"I want you!" I quickly said trying to win over her heart but it was no use.

"And I want you to get that scholarship"

She gave me a sad smile and leaned in for a kiss, all I could taste was the salt from our tears.

"Please don't do this" I begged through my tears which were slowly turning into sobs.

"I love you Em but you need to go now. Go home and study, you have a test tomorrow" she said with a chuckle and nudged me trying to lighten the mood but I just nodded, picked up my bag and left. Before I shut her bedroom I gave her one last look. 

"I love you too" I told her and shut the door.

Third Person POV

As soon as Emily had left Alison's bedroom Alison broke down, she couldn't stop the tears. Everywhere she looked there was something that reminded her of Emily, she knew this was going to be hard but she kept telling herself that it was for the best. Emily would be able to do what she wanted to do with her life now without any complications. When Emily left the DiLaurentis's house she ran, she ran as fast as she could back to her house and locked her self in her bedroom, she couldn't study like this, there was no way that she would pass this test. She was sad but at the same time she was angry, she was angry at herself for not trying hard enough for both school and for Alison.
Both of the girls cried themselves to sleep that night, heads rested upon a tear drenched pillow. This was going to be a rough few months for both of them and they both knew it.