The Goodbye

Emily's POV

I had reached Paris, where Alison had led me to. I wasn't ready to read the letter but I had to.

Emily,

A few weeks should have passed by the time you read this. If you followed all my notes and instructions, you should've ended up in our place. Paris. Sat by the squeaky bench overlooking the river where I dropped my glasses and cried for hours. God I hope it's still sunny. You're probably thinking 'how did she know she was gonna die?'... I just took precaution. I needed these notes to get tot you so you'd end up in the most beautiful place on earth. We were always our happiest here. I want you to take our children here one day, let them know what a beautiful place this is and the memories we made here. I want you to make new ones with them. I'll be watching and joining in from up in the sky. I wrote a note for our kids to open when they're older but until then, please let them never forget how much their mom loved them. I will always love them, you tell them, you tell them that I wish I could be there holding their hand through everything, their first day of school, their first girlfriend or boyfriends. Explain that I won't be there physically when they get married and have children of their own but I'll be watching from up here throwing my own little party for them. I'm worried that they will forget my face, show them photos of us from when we were young, and up until our last photograph we ever had taken together. Tell them our story and most importantly never let them be sad over me. Tell them to live well and just live to the fullest.

Each day I told you things that I wanted you to know but there's a few more things I want to tell you. I couldn't before because you would've gotten all emotional and stopped me. After my mom died, there was a lot of money that was left for me. I want you to have it. When you get home, Aria will give you access to a bank account that contains enough. Don't start stressing, it's not enough to sit in Paris forever but it should give you your freedom, a chance to start over. You won my heart Fields. You are always in my heart, you always were from the minute I saw you walk into Rosewood High with your hair in a ponytail, your stripy t shirts and brown bag that you wore over your shoulder. And your gorgeous sweet smile and inability to ever hide a single thing you felt. The way you'd care for anybody. Please don't think of me too often. I don't want you being sad. You dry your eyes and wear your stripy t shirts with pride. Never lose your smile, it's the most precious thing on earth. I'm so privileged to of met you, let alone marry you. We did everything on my bucket list, I lived my life. Now it's time for you to live yours. I'll be walking beside you every step of the way. I'll hold the gates open, I'll be waiting. I love you more than you'll ever know.

Now... How about forever in heaven?

I rubbed my hand over her writing and couldn't help but cry. I missed her but I felt her presence around me. It was time to do everything she said. I had to be happy. For her and for our children.