Chapter 18 : A visit home

Chapter 18

Later...

Paige POV

The ride had gotten unstuck, and we'd made it back to my house safe and sound. Riker was so much different. He seemed so much less tense now, and he seemed more comfortable.

Right now we were sitting on the floor on his bed. He hadn't stopped smiling since we got off the ferris wheel. Our hands were intertwined, and his head was on my shoulder.

"How's your back feeling?" I asked.

"It feels kind of achy actually. The medicine wore off about an hour ago."

The smile faded from his face. He was remembering Ross. I could feel him tensing up next to me.

"Hey. Just relax, ok, Riker?"

Riker sighed.

"I'm sorry! I'm just... scared..."

"I know. Try not to think about that right now."

He shifted slightly closer to me.

"Paige?"

"Yeah?"

"Are we like... Um..."

"What?"

"Are we like... A couple?"

"Sure. If that's what you want."

He smiled again.

"Yeah, that's what I want."

"Ok, then we're a couple."

I kissed Riker's cheek, and he blushed hard. I laughed a little.

"No! Don't look at me!"

Riker covered his face with his hands, laughing.

"You almost ready for bed?" I asked.

"Yeah... But it's so warm out tonight..."

"So?"

"So either I can be hot and sleep with the covers on, or I can be comfortable, but vulnerable to the monsters."

I laughed.

"What?" Riker asked.

"You're such a goofball."

"Well then you sleep with the covers off, and see what happens!"

I rolled my eyes.

"Or you could just wear lighter clothes. You're probably only hot because you're in jeans and a long sleeved shirt. Put on some shorts!"

"I didn't bring any. I don't even remember the last time I wore shorts."

"Why?"

"My... cuts..."

"Oh... Right..."

Tonight had been absolutely perfect. I almost forgot about the real reason Riker was at my house.

"Well... You could go home and get some if you want."

"N-no!"

"I can go with you. I just don't want you to be uncomfortable tonight."

Riker was biting his bottom lip hard.

"Riker, it'll be fine. We'll just go to your house, you can grab what you need, and we'll come back. And if I'm with you, Ross probably won't do anything. If he said he'd kill you if you told anyone, I doubt he'd do something in front of me."