Chapter 40 : Psychiatric Hold

Chapter 40

Paige POV

I asked the receptionist if she knew where Ross's family was. They said they were in his room, so I walked down the hall. I opened the door, and everyone was in there. Ross was awake, and he looked a lot better than before.

"How is he?" I asked Rydel.

"He's doing a lot better. They gave him the blood we donated, and they said he's a lot more stable. They took him off some of the machines."

"Oh, that's great."

"Yeah. So um... Where's Riker?"

"Yeah... Um... I need to talk to your parents about that."

"Did he try to kill himself?"

"No, not exactly."

Rydel got her parents for me, and the three of us walked out into the hall. I felt really nervous for some reason.

"So um... Riker was being really emotional. He couldn't really think straight, and he kept saying he wanted to kill himself. So I um... I told the receptionist, and she called some doctors to put him in psychiatric hold."

Both of his parents looked worried and upset.

"I'm sorry," I said, quietly.

"No, Paige. I'm glad you did that. I don't need to lose both of my sons in one day," Mr.Lynch said.

I sighed in relief, and we all walked back into Ross's room.

"So where's Riker?" Rydel asked.

"In psychiatric hold..."

"What's that?"

"It's when someone wants to kill themselves... The hospital puts them there to get them under control and figure out what they should do to help the person."

"Oh..."

Riker POV

"NO!"

I squirmed away to the corner of the room.

"Riker, we need you to calm down. Otherwise you'll get a shot," the doctor said.

"No! Please!"

More people came into the room. They forcefully grabbed me, and made me lie down flat on my back on the floor. I struggled to get away, but I wasn't strong enough. They gave me a shot in my arm, and I screamed. I got really sleepy, and then fell asleep.

Paige POV

Riker's parents got called on their phones to go meet with someone in the hospital to talk about Riker. We were all told to stay with Ross. He was doing a lot better now. He was talking to us about some weird dream he had about being in the Bahamas.

My phone buzzed a few minutes later. It was Riker's mom, telling me to come to this particular room to tell the doctors exactly what was going on with Riker.

I found my way there, and explained to them everything that's been going on.

Riker POV

I opened my eyes. I saw a nurse writing some things down on a clipboard. And then I remembered what had happened to me!

I shifted around, but I was too tired to get up. I was in a bed, and I had the sheet pulled up to my chin. I looked under the sheet, and I was only in my underwear. How long was I asleep!? And why'd they take my clothes!?

"Well look who's awake," the nurse said, walking over to me.

"A-are you g-going to h-hurt me?"

"No, Riker."

"Why do I feel so weak?"

"You're on tranquilizers."

"Why?"

"Because you couldn't calm down."

It was weird. I hadn't really felt like this in a while. I didn't really feel stressed out or anxious. I felt... fine... kind of...

"What's going to happen to me?" I asked.

"Your parents are talking to some doctors right now about what to do with you."

I sighed, and closed my eyes. I'm really tired...

I heard the door open though, and my eyes shot open. It was mom, dad, and Paige. I held my arms out for Paige, and she came over and hugged me.

"I want to leave," I said, starting to cry into Paige's shoulder.

"Riker, it'll be ok," Paige whispered.

"What's going to happen?"

One of the doctors from before came over.

"This is what's going to happen, Riker. You're going to be evaluated. We're going to try to determine the best treatment for you. And then you'll be released to your family."

"How long?"

"Anywhere from 3 to 24 hours."

"I want to go home."

"Riker, you need to get help first," Mom said.

I pulled out of Paige's arms, and laid down in my bed again. I cried into my pillow. I hate this...

Paige started messing with my bangs a little.

"I want you to stay," I said, looking at Paige.

"Riker, I can't. You have to do this on your own."

I curled into a ball. I don't know what to do anymore...

Paige POV

He's so upset. I wish there was something I could do for him to make him feel better. But now he's going to get the help he needs. The doctors let us stay in there until Riker had cried himself to sleep. Since we were going to be at the hospital because of Ross, Riker's doctor said he'd just have a nurse let us know if we needed to speak to someone or come see Riker.

We walked back to Ross's room. He was laughing now, and it was great to see him like that. The doctors ended up taking him off all the machines, and bringing him to a different room. It was concluded that he'd be fine. They just wanted to monitor him for the next few days.

He had a slight concussion, but nothing that bad. They'd stopped his internal bleeding. He had a few broken ribs, but he was on pain medicine through his IV. And they'd bandaged up his cuts and gashes.

Mr. and Mrs.Lynch explained to their kids what was going on with Riker at the moment. They were all kind of surprised. I guess they never thought everything would get this bad. I just hope Riker isn't mad at me. I didn't want to do this to him, but I was too scared I was going to lose him...