Chapter 22 : Meeting up with Ross

Chapter 22

Riker POV 

I'd changed into a pair of skinny jeans, converse, and a sweatshirt. It was kind of cold out tonight.

I had my phone in my back pocket just in case. But I honestly didn't know who I'd call now that Paige was on a plane.

I shivered as I walked down the street in the dark. I'm all alone, and I'm terrified of being kidnapped or something. And it's nighttime! I hate the dark! And worst of all, I'm meeting my abusive brother in a sketchy part of town under a freaking bridge. Who even knows why he's there!? What if he's going to try to kill me!? What if he's going to tie me up, and then throw me in the stream so I drown!?

Calm down, Riker. You won't be able to fight back if you have a panic attack.

I stopped walking, and took some slow deep breaths. And then I kept walking.

There were almost no cars out. And that's sort of weird. I tried to push all the bad thoughts out of my mind.

I finally saw the bridge. What does he mean by "under" the bridge?

I approached the bridge, and then went down to the side of the stream, underneath the bridge. I saw Ross. And he looked freaking scary!

His eyes looked all bloodshot, he was shaking, and he looked like a complete mess.

"R-Riker, you n-need to help m-me."

I took a few steps back.

"W-what's wrong with y-you?" I asked, quietly.

Ross started crying. I bit my bottom lip hard. If this is all an act, and I'm falling for it...

"I h-haven't t-taken anything in over 24 h-hours."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"D-drugs."

My eyes widened.

"What?" I asked.

"H-help m-me."

He fell to his knees on the ground, and I ran over to him.

"Ross, what am I supposed to do?"

"D-don't t-tell m-mom."

I knelt down next to him, and pulled him to me. He felt really weak.

"Ross, I don't know what I'm supposed to do!"

"H-help..."

"O-ok... Hold on."

I picked him up, and put him over my shoulder. I'd gotten some strength from actually eating 3 meals a day.

I carried him all the way back to Paige's. Oh god, she's going to kill me when she finds out...

I set him down on the floor, which was on my bed of blankets.

"Why haven't you taken anything?" I asked.

"B-because I n-need to s-stop."

I opened Paige's laptop to see what I should do for my brother. He's sweating and shaking like crazy. I'm almost positive this isn't an act.

"R-Riker!"

"What?"

"I-it f-feels like I'm d-dying!"

"You're not. Um... It says you're supposed to drink a ton of water, and to distract yourself. But there's not really much else I can do for you..."

Ross groaned, and rolled over. He was still crying, but he was silent. He looked like he was in so much pain, and it was so hard to see him like that.

"Um... Do you have a headache or anything? Because I could give you something for it."

"M-my head is p-pounding."

"Ok. I'll just go get you something."

"N-no! D-don't l-leave m-me!"

"Ross, it'll only be for a minute. I promise. I'll be right back!"

I ran up the stairs. I got him some medicine, and a glass of water. I ran back down, and helped him sit up. He took the pill, and then handed me the glass back.

He fell over into my lap, crying louder now.

"R-Ross-"

"M-make it s-stop! P-please! I c-can't t-take it!"

"Ross, it's going to be ok. You just need to make it through this."

"Y-you c-can't t-tell M-Macy w-where I-I a-am."

"I won't!"

I was very curious as to what has been going on for the past however many months, but I figured I could ask him later. He's a complete mess right now...

"Ross, um... Maybe you want to take a cold shower? You're really hot."

"N-no."

"Ok... Um... Then maybe you want to try to get some sleep?"

"A-are you g-going to l-leave m-me?"

"No. Um... I'll be here. Let me just go change."

I grabbed some clothes, and changed in the bathroom. I shut off the lights, and laid down on the floor next to my baby bro. I could still hear him crying.

Even though I knew he was too weak to do much to me at the moment, I was still pretty much scared out of my mind to be sleeping in the same room as him.

"R-Riker, I d-don't think I c-can d-do this."

"Ross, it'll be ok. Please just try to sleep."

"I c-can't!"

I found his arm in the dark, and pulled him slightly closer to me. He curled up next to me with his head on my chest. I loosely put my arms around him, still feeling kind of scared.

After a little while, Ross finally quieted down. And I was pretty sure he'd fallen asleep... On me...

I honestly felt like I was sleeping with a monster. He's caused me so much pain. But... If he was on drugs or something...

I don't even know what to think anymore! I don't know how to react! This is all such a shock!

I moved slightly, trying to get comfortable. I didn't want to wake him up.

I finally just accepted that I wasn't going to find a comfortable position, and I just laid there. It felt like I was laying there, staring into blackness for hours. But I finally managed to fall asleep.