Chapter 1

Lucky

I winced as I sat down, the bruises at the back of my thighs were still very fresh from the beating I got - courtesy of my father. My father had found out I had a boyfriend when he accidentally overheard my mouthy friend, Linda talking about It.

My father and Linda's father were long time friends and business partners. Today, he was at the Ikechukwu's, discussing with Mr Ikechukwu himself. When he was living, he spotted Linda sitting by the pool on the phone with me of course, he wanted to say hi. So, he stopped by and unfortunately both Mr Ikechukwu and my father got to hear Linda say - "Come on Lucky, you have to tell me all about your new boyfriend... "

Long story short, my father came home breathing fire like a dragon. I had greeted him when he slapped me so hard I fell, living my mother and sister agape. And then he gave the speech about being a good girl, and all the talk about how I disappointed him while exaggerating a little. The last but not the least was the 'lesson on moral behaviour' - that's what he called the beatings he gave to me.

A few winces later, I had managed to lie on my bed with the comforter draped over my shoulders, providing me warmth. I closed my eyes but then my phone started vibrating, I groaned and sat up. I reached out to grab it from the bedside table and checked the caller ID.

Great, look who's calling...

"Evan..." I uttered.

"Hey, baby. What's up, girl? I thought you were coming over today." He said in his raspy voice.

"I got held up." I answered.

Literally...

"by your dad, huh?"

you have no idea...

"Yeah... listen, Evan -" I started but he interrupted me.

"babygirl, this thing isn't working out, It's best we go our separate ways. " He said flatly.

"that's -" what I was about to say. But Evan cut me short.

"So unfair, I know but you're gonna have to accept it." He said with a dramatic sigh

"I -"... totally agree that we should break up. But once again he cut me short.

"you love me, yes I know but you're going to have to get use to life without Mr E. " He stated arrogantly.

What an egomaniac ...

"wait - what?" He was so annoying, I was starting to wonder what I saw in him, and to think I got beat up because of him.

"yes, yes you heard me right." He replied, then sighed again. "In fact, I think we shouldn't even stay friends because you'd still be attaching your feelings to every single thing I say or do, and I don't wanna lead you on, okay?...And please, when you see me, don't talk to me, don't call me, don't even wave at me, okay? So, I guess this is goodb-"

"Evan, Shut your filthy mouth. Otherwise when next I see you, I'll slap you so hard all the teeth you spent years growing will fall out. Mumu (Moron) you're so full of yourself, you think I'd cry over you? See see, don't fool yourself. See me see trouble oh, weren't you the one who chased me all the way to market and back like a lost puppy? You're so pathetic, stupid idiot."

Beep.

He deserved it...

~*~*~*~

The next day, after a very painful bath filled with winces as a result of my fresh bruises, I changed into a pair of grey joggers and a black tank top, my waist length braids was up in a messy bun at the centre of my head. Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I looked horrible, there were bruises all over my arms which were now turning a hideous shade of purple on my fair skin. I sighed.