Chapter 41

Lucky

     I was in my bedroom, studying, seated on the bed, leaning against the headboard with several textbooks and notebooks sprawled out before me. I subconsciously tapped the head of my biro against the textbook on my thigh as I read before flipping the page. I had almost finished the first paragraph when my phone started ringing, disrupting my concentration. I picked it up and stared at the screen.

"Hello, Fabian." I breathed out the minute I answered. "What can I do for you today?"

"Hey, Kiki!" He greeted back, sounding way to exuberant. "You sound so formal greeting me like that – 'Hello, Fabian. What can I do for you today?' Like one of those auto robotic voice saying -" He made a show of clearing his throat before modulating his voice. " - sorry, your account balance is too low for the destination you are trying to call."

I chuckled.

"What's going on, girl?"  He drawled in a lazy tone. "Are we fighting?"

"We're not fighting, we're good."

"You sure about that...? You don't call or text, you don't pick my calls or reply my texts either." Fabian said then tsked. Something about his intonation told me he was high, It was the way he huffed and puffed. "You're being really cold. What did I do for you to keep me in the dog house?"

"I'm sorry, Fabian. But I just thought -"

"You just thought I wanted to fůck you, right?"

Yeah, he's definitely high...

"That's not what -"

"Well I do but It's not like that's all I think about, I want company too. You know how I feel about you, I need you, can't you just give me a little attention even if It's just outta pity. But you avoid me like I'm some kinda pedophile uncle who touches you in all the wrong places. I told you about my father's illness and you didn't even flinch. You don't even try to check up on me. You're so insensitive, you know."

     Guilt punctured its way through my skin and pierced my heart, I realised this was the second person calling me insensitive in a week. I was lost for words, I realised deep down he was right, just like Best was right too.

"Do you know what it feels like to have a dying loved one?" He asked harshly, his voice much louder now. "Come down from your high horse and stop feeling yourself, bitch."

He hung up.

I sat there staring at the screen of my phone, not entirely sure how I was feeling. I felt guilty but I didn't know how to make amends.

Do I call him later and try to apologise? Do I go see him?

I could pay him a surprise visit, I knew his house, he had taken me there a few times in the past.

     Suddenly, my door creaked open, riveting my attention from the wall I had been staring at, Christine walked in.

This smallie cannot knock again...

"Hey, sis. Can I use your power vault?" She asked.

I replied by gesturing towards the vanity across the room where the device sat.

"Thanks." Bukky walked towards it and I lowered my gaze to continue reading the book on my thighs but something struck me and I lifted my gaze back to my little sister.

"Bukky?" I called, just as she was about to walk out.

"Hmmm?" She turned to face me.

"Sit down."