Chapter 72

Song for chapter: Boo'd Up By Ella Mai

Abel

"I'm in love with her." He announced.

     Doctor Stafford paused his writing and lifted his head to scrutinise his patient. He was positioned on an armchair by the window. His right leg was crossed over the other, his notebook sat comfortably on his thigh. Abel was all the way across the room, slouched on the chaise longue. He was staring into space as he toyed with the zipper of his bomber jacket, pulling it up and down.

"And I told her I loved her." He added. "Well, not in the same words because... you know, I can't tell her that and have something bad happen. So I gave her the closest thing to an 'I love you'..."

"Do you still have that fear of the ones you love getting..."

"... hurt?" Abel completed, then added. "Yes, I do. From my sister to my mother, the women in my life suffer and I don't want her to have to suffer more than she is already. I figured the only way to do that is if I don't specifically tell her that I love her. But in that moment, I couldn't bear to keep going round in circles, she suddenly seemed more vulnerable and I needed to make it known to her that I would do any and everything to protect her so I encrypted my words and told her I loved her."

"Do you think she loves you?" The older man enquired.

Abel stopped toying with his zipper and slowly lifted his eyes to meet the doctor's. He then said: "She says I make her feel secure. And..... that's really enough for me. Making her love me isn't a priority... making her happy is. Because I know if I can make her happy, everything will follow."

"If you're really in love with her as much as you say..." Doctor Stafford paused for a while then continued. "Don't you think telling her – and I don't mean encrypting your feelings – would make her happy...? Those three words are quite powerful, you know... There's nothing they can't do."

"They're powerful?" Abel responded with a blank stare. "Look where my mother and I are... It doesn't change a thing."

"Your mother is not happy because she hasn't let go of the past. It'll take time for her to heal, keep being there for her. You don't even know if you're one 'I love you' away from freeing her from her demons.

From what you've mentioned, Temilola didn't and still isn't receiving love from the people whom should naturally give to her and that makes her all the more fragile, she needs love. She needs to know that she's not as insignificant as her parents make her feel in order to truly be happy."

"You once told me happiness was more than a state of mind. I want to be the embodiment of her happiness. And with every fibre of my being, I'll make her feel like the jewel she really is."

~*~*~*~

.

Lucky

"Coco puffs, coco puffs, coco puffs!" I couldn't help but scream.

Abel who was a few feet ahead flinched and turned to glare at me. "Are you well?"

I took a minute to admire just how good he looked in a black baseball cap, a simple oversized white tees and a Bermuda shorts. He had one hand against the trolley.

     Abel and I were at a small supermarket doing groceries. His mother would be discharged in two days and he wanted to have the house stocked before personally taking her home. He'd asked me to accompany him and since I couldn't bear to be in the house longer than necessary, I gladly accepted the offer.