Chapter 92

Song for chapter: Joro By Wizkid

Abel

     It felt good to be running again. It always felt like he was too far from his demons' reach whenever he was running, that they couldn't keep up with him. Doctor Stafford had convinced him to continue running, several times of the day. That way, his demons would never catch up with him. He made a turn right at the next junction that would lead him deeper into the district, another person who seemed to be jogging appeared from the other junction, falling behind him.

"Abel?" The person behind increased his pace so they were now jogging side by side. Abel turned and saw Moustapha.

"Hey..." He wasn't sure what to say to him, he felt a tad uncomfortable.

"You really have stamina. Racing you would be good for me so I don't fall back when I go back to training."

Abel laughed. He was glad Moustapha didn't direct the conversation to his hospitalisation. The boy always knew the right thing to say and when the time was appropriate.

"Well soldier boy, let's see you keep up with me." With that he picked up the pace and went all out.

Moustapha couldn't keep up with him, he just wasn't as fast as he was but he was at his heels the entire time, no more than a two steps behind. In the end, they stopped and settled at the mountain of sand on a clearing. It was where he had brought Lucky to tell her about his near drowning. They were both quiet for a while. Moustapha was busy with his phone and Abel just stared at the belvedere were he'd brought been in with Lucky.

"Wallahi!" Moustapha suddenly spoke, he was in the process of rubbing creases from his neck. "You're not a human being."

Abel laughed, arching one leg.

"I'm serious, no one can outrace me on camp. I feel so ashamed!"

"Don't be so hard on yourself." He chuckled. "You just said you're the fastest on camp."

"Yes, I am." Moustapha replied with pride.

Silence.

"How is she?" Abel found himself asking.

"Not very good." Moustapha puffed his cheeks. "But that's why she has me at arm's length."

"You probably shouldn't tell her you saw me today."

Moustapha didn't reply directly to that instead, he said something else. "I think it might interest you to know that she's going to a party tomorrow." With that he rose up and began to brush sand of the back of his sweatpants. "It was good to see you, Abel. I also liked losing to you, In fact, I think it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have these competitions everyday, don't you think? Well, I best be on my way now. You take care." He smiled at him and walked off.

~*~*~*~

Lucky

     It was finally Saturday and everyone was eager to get their groove on for the party. My girls and I agreed to make things easier for Best by getting ready together, that way he wouldn't have to drive around in circles to come pick us up. It was more considerate. Since I couldn't have my people seeing a boy pickup me up, my house was ruled out. We chose Naomi's house. The party was supposed to start by twelve in the afternoon, so Isabel and I met up at Naomi's as early as ten. Even though I complied, I thought it was too early but Naomi thought the time wasn't even enough to get ready.

     Naomi had chosen my outfit for me. It was really simple and cute. It was a red tube and a strapped high waisted skirt, that looked more like a pinafore but it wasn't. The skirt stopped mid-thigh, It was flared. My braids were loose, swept behind my shoulders. I wore a simple necklace with a tiny heart shaped pendant. I finished off the look with a pair of black sneakers. As for makeup, it was light - foundation, eyeliner and lip gloss. I liked the look. Isabel was in a floral playsuit and sandals. She was rocking her hair gelled back in a secured bun with hairpins. Her makeup was not light though, she was a makeup girl just like Naomi. Everything she did complemented her light skin. Naomi was stunning in a nude spaghetti strapped leotard and a blue high-waisted palazzo jeans that were ripped at the knees. Her braids, long cornrows were divided and tied into two so it looked like they were in two buns at the back.