Chapter 60

Lucky

     Best pulled away to study my features, furrowing his brows. He then leaned closer again but I placed a firm hand against his chest.

"No...?" He asked and I shook my head in response.

Reluctantly, he released me but didn't step backwards. "But why...?" He asked in a soft whisper.

Because I still haven't forgotten the igbo boy who kissed me breathless just a week ago...

I couldn't say a word. And he finally took a step backwards, cupping his head in both hands. He looked up and his words rolled off his tongue with ease and solemnity. "I love you, Lucky."

     Shell-shocked, I looked at him as he locked his fingers behind his neck. He watched me intently as if dying to hear my response but I was lost for words.

The silence stretched for about a minute before he broke It again. "I'm sorry, I just thought that if I said it... you would understand just how serious ma-my feelings are..." He took a shaky breath, furrowing his brows. "I love you, I really do... Please, let me be your boyfriend..."

Oh please don't do this to me...

     When I still couldn't bring myself to answer him, he turned on his heels and dashed out. I lowered my gaze to find little Brian sat on the floor, watching his brother's – who had missed him on his way out – retreating figure. He then looked to me. A small sneer formed on his small lips and he gave me the puppy dog eyes. He folded his little arms and shook his head as if telling me off for hurting his big brother.

Awww...

     Though consumed by guilt, I found the toddler's actions cute and I chuckled. I sauntered to him and stooped to lift him up, placing him on my hip.

I halted in the living room. "Where's he?" I asked no one in particular.

     Naomi, TJ and Benny were sat on the floor before the centre table, playing Whot. Naomi raised her brows at me as if trying to ask what had happened, TJ gave me a look of disappointment as if he already knew.

"Upstairs... " Naomi breathed out.

"I'll go talk to him, don't worry." Benny rose up, advancing to the stairway.

"No, I'll go." I swiftly made my way to the stairs, cinching my grip on the squirming child on my hip.

     His door was opened, he was laying on the bed, his head at the foot of the bed and his arched legs facing the padded headboard. In his hands was a small basketball he incessantly tossed at the wall.

"Best... " He caught the ball and held it by his side.

"What?"

"We should talk about what you -"

"Look," He stretched his right hand out. "If you're here to downplay my feelings or tell me It's not love I feel, then It's best you leave."

"Best, please. Listen to me. We've been friends for a while now and -"

"And I fell in love with you. I finally said it and you're trying to belittle my feelings." He sat up, turning to look at me. He seemed surprised Brian was in my arms at first.