Chapter 15

Lucky

    Walking down the hallway, I looked at Naomi who had a scowl on her face, she kept clenching and unclenching her fist as we sauntered. I could tell she was infuriated, she had been wearing this stony expression on her face since we left the playground. We had finally decided to stop listening in on Ebimo and his friends, so we walked away. Not being able to bite my tongue, I asked Naomi the question that had been gnawing at my insides.

"Did Abel get into a fight with -"

"Yes. Yes, he did." Her reply was straight forward.

"I -" She interrupted me.

"I wasn't there... but Best was." She craned her neck and peered at me. "However, I did see the fight online... TJ showed me the video that day we were at his place."

"What — I don't understand." I uttered perplexedly.

"Yeah, someone filmed It and uploaded it on the school's website." Naomi explained, my eyebrows shot up. "I know, right? Mrs Ejiofor is having a cow about the whole ordeal. There's even a lawsuit pending."

I shook my head in astonishment as we stopped by her locker, she punched in her combination and proceeded to organise her things.

"I'm not the kinda girl who shrieks at violence but babes... It was quite disturbing to watch." Naomi finally showed a different emotion on her face, totally discarding the stoic one she'd been wearing. "The way he dislocated Bola's arm... I felt like I was watching a pro MMA (mixed martial arts) fighter. And he made it look so easy!"

My eyes were now the size of golf balls.

What?

Did I hear well?

"He dislocated his arm...?" I asked, absolutely astounded.

"He did!" She exclaimed. "I'd show you -"

"No no no. I don't wanna see it." I frantically waved my hands in front of me.

She chuckled. "It's cool... the video's already been taken down."

     My shoulders sagged as I visibly relaxed, she smirked and playfully punched my shoulder. Something however, piqued my interest. Since the topic came up, I had been pondering.

Supposedly, the fight took place on Monday during break time.

I ran into Abel the minute I walked out of the cafeteria

Or rather whilst I was a sobbing mess.

So, these are my questions:

Was he already on his way to er... beat them up...?

Or...

That thought was left pending, I didn't even have to voice them to Naomi like I had wanted to, she must have read the look on my face because she suddenly asked:

"You still don't know, do you?"

My eyebrows furrowed as I mildly shook my head.

"Abel heard what Bola did to you..." She uttered softly. "It was for you...He did it to defend your honour."

If my eyes were the size of golf balls then, they had completely bulged out now.

~*~*~*~

"and ehm...do not forget to grab Idodo Umeh's College Biology textbook." Mr George ordered in his stern baritone.

I nodded my head but then remembered he couldn't see me because he was totally fixated on the laptop in front of him. "Yes, sir."