Chapter 59

A/N: This is overdue, I'm sorry, please don't hate me.

Lucky

     Alcohol was a very powerful indulgence, It served multiple purposes. I would never understand how one could drink when depressed and also when celebrating. For many, it was an escape from reality. But what kind of escape is it when you're so stupefied you can't even string a simple sentence together. To me, an escape from reality meant taking a vacation, spending time with the one you love. It may not always erase dejection but it sufficed as a great distraction.

     Dad passed out on the floor in the living room with several empty bottles around him was the first thing we saw after returning from church on Sunday. He'd wanted to stay home so we'd gone without him. I knew he would entertain himself whilst we were away, I just didn't think he'd drink this much.

"What a mess!" Bukky spat out in disgust.

A mess I would most definitely clean, no doubt...

"Both of you, go upstairs. I'll take care of this." Mum ordered with a scowl on her face.

     Reluctantly, we ascended the stairs, proceeding to our respective bedrooms. On my way, I could only wonder what she meant by she would take care of it.

     In my room, I took off my Sunday outfit and got dressed in a casual t-shirt and a pair of jeans. I sat down, grabbing my phone to login to Facebook. And that was when I heard it – the yelling. I sprang up and rushed out of my room to the landing. I stood at the top of stairs, gripping the railing as I strained my ears, trying to decipher their dialogue. From where I perched, I could see them but they couldn't see me.

"Do not make me repeat myself, woman." Father growled out, sneering down at her.

"Oh, there's no need to." Mother retorted confidently. "I heard you crystal clear."

"Do not make me repeat myself, woman." Father reiterated. "Because I will not do it with my mouth..."

But you would do it with your fists...

"Look at you, puffing out your chest. You want to be like that, fine. But I can be authoritative too." She fired back. "Now, you listen to me because I won't repeat myself." Mother said, stabbing the air with her index for emphasis. "Since you want to act like a child. I will baby you."

This can't end well...

"Henceforth! Here's what you're gonna do." She held her right pinky with her left index, counting as she spoke. "You're gonna wake up early, and you are going to lead our morning devotion. You'd leave for work without a single drop of alcohol, you'd return home without a drop of alcohol in your system, and you'll go to bed with the same level of sobriety."

That backbone my sister talked about? Seems like mum has grown it...

     It was nice to see my mother speaking up for once, putting my father in his place. But I worried about my father's retaliation, he wouldn't take being governed lightly. My mother was pregnant but I couldn't vouch that my father wouldn't strike her if he felt the need to.

~*~*~*~

Abel

"So this morning, I'm in the kitchen fixing myself something and my uncle walks in. He throws the newspaper on the counter, right before me." Abel recounted his morning to his doctor. "And guess who made front page... Apparently, he's running for governor in the next elections. Also, he's vowed to strike a deal with FERMA to fund the reconstruction of federal roads across The Niger Delta region."