Chapter 69

Lucky

"Are you sure?" Abel asked.

"What are you asking me?"

"Are you sure it was your dad?"

"I picked out his outfit this morning so yes I think I'm sure." I said through gritted teeth. "Besides I think I would recognise my own father." I scoffed, throwing my body against the chair. "I can't believe this... He kissed her smack on the lips!"

It was a busy road; on both lanes, cars bumper-to-bumper, okada riders trying to manoeuvre their way between cars, pedestrians taking advantage of the hold-up to cross the road and even peddlers sauntering about, showcasing their products to vehicles. Regardless of all this, somehow, I had spotted him.

Dad's car was parked by the side of the road, a little further from a run-down apartment complex, he'd been leaning against his car, with his collar turned up, smoking his cigar looking like some cocky yahoo boy (Internet fraudster) goading SARS (special anti-robbery squad - an agency desperate to capture these individuals).

A skinny, frumpy looking girl who looked to be a few years older than me had exited the house. Dad had perked up upon her arrival and watched as she advanced closer. She'd grabbed him by the shirt and placed a kiss on his lips. I was outraged.

I couldn't believe my eyes, I had seen it but I just couldn't believe it. Dad was really cheating on mum and he had the effrontery to do it at a time like this. A critical moment for the family. Mum had just lost her baby for crying out loud and it was courtesy him. It was all his fault. But here he was, kissing his mistress — the worthless whore.

Subconsciously, I balled my fist and rammed it against the side of the door and winced from the contact, flailing the hand.

"Lucky..."

"Could you please follow him?" I asked in a small voice.

"Don't do this to yourself."

"Could you...!" I started off shouting but then I took a breath a lowered my tone. "...please?"

Abel hesitated for a moment but then exhaled and put the car in ignition, he reached for the steering wheel and swerved off the lane to make a U-turn.

~*~*~*~

Rose Gardens Hotel

That's where he brought her to, the most reputable hotel in the city. Abel had driven in after them, trying to be as discreet as possible. My father was a smart man, he could spot an ant from thousands of miles away. I was surprised he hadn't noticed a dark blue Ford Mustang tailing him for the past fifteen minutes. I was thankful the windows were tinted, there was no way my dad could see us.

The lady exited the car first, tugging at the hem of her ridiculously short dress. Then Dad exited the car and rounded the car to meet her. She leered at him, reaching up for his shoulders. To my disgust, they shared a passionate kiss. I imagined myself exiting the car to snatch her hair bald, stripping her naked and beating the hell out of her. My face hardened into a glare as I watched them. The harlot pulled back – never for one second taking off the sick smile on her face – and they exchanged a few words before she turned and began to sashay towards the entrance of the building. After just the first step, Dad's right hand swung forwards to smack her rear.

"Fucking deplorable." Abel spat out in anger.

"It's been confirmed, my father is a soulless bastard." I let out through gritted teeth. "Please, get me out of here."

~*~*~*~

A narcissistic, abusing, tormenting, alcoholic, emotionally absent and now a cheating, sorry excuse for a father. How is it possible that I got all that — that my family and I got all that for the price of one. My father was irredeemable, not one single good trait and boy, did it hurt.