Chapter 64

"Motherhood: All love begins and ends there."

~ Robert Browining.

Lucky

     Bukky had always been the apple of my father's eyes. He gave her everything she wanted whether she asked for it or not. But she wasn't really as perfect as he wanted her to be. She challenged him, talked back at him, she did a lot of things to rile him up — some of which were intentional. I guess she couldn't understand why her father would love her and loathe her sister.

     I had been in Bukky's room, helping her style her hair into Bantu Knots when he knocked on the opened door, announcing his presence. His six-seven frame loomed over the doorframe in a threatening manner. Everything about him oozed confidence. He looked ready to step out, dressed in a mustard polo shirt and blue jeans. His shirt was neatly tucked in, accentuating his broad shoulders and flat tommy. His feet were strapped in simple sandals. He was still wearing his beard but he still looked just as handsome.

Daddy was a beautiful man...

But he had an ugly soul.

     Bukky cupped her chin and looked away as if she couldn't stand his presence. Dad met my gaze and awkwardly cleared his throat. His adam's apple bobbed as he gulped.

"Get out." He spat out.

     I didn't plan on hearing it a second time so I rose up from my position at the foot of the bed and awkwardly passed him on my way out. I entered my room and shut the door behind me. But then curiosity got the better of me and I opened the door as quietly as I could and looked across to my sister's room just opposite mine.

     The door to Bukky's room was ajar and from where I stood, I could see what was happening. I couldn't hear them but I could see them. Dad was sat where I had been just a minute ago, hunched over Bukky as he lovingly stroked her cheek. He spoke to her in whispers and It seemed like she was ranting at first but then he silenced her by engulfing her small frame in a bear hug, planting a lingering kiss on the crown of her head.

Of course he apologised...

     Watching them, I couldn't help the jealousy that coursed through my body. I wish I was important enough to be apologised to. I didn't even know what it felt like to be hugged and kissed by my father. The only time he touched my cheeks was to slap or punch me.

He hadn't even touched her and he apologised. Not that what he did wasn't bad and deserving of an apology.

     If I were to count every blow I had received that had gone without an apology, three lifetimes would pass me by. Even when I had to be hospitalised, I hadn't received anything close to an apology. But with Bukky, with a mere 'shut up' or raising his voice at her, he atoned for it.

     Amidst my thoughts, my father had walked out of the room and was now standing before me. I realised he had caught me spying on them. I couldn't turn around to run back into my room.

To my surprise, he didn't yell or reprimand me. Instead, he said: "Go finish up her hair. Find her a nice outfit and make her pretty -"

"I can dress myself up, I'm not a child, Dad!" Bukky yelled from inside her room.

Dad ignored her. "I'm taking her out."

"Okay, Sir." I replied meekly and he walked away.

     After he left, I went into the room to finish up Bukky's hair. She found an outfit by herself and I sat idly, watching her.