Chapter 56

Lucky

"Oh my God!" Naomi was already on her feet, running down to the court and I took off after her.

"Orland!" TJ called, his feet thundering across the court to Best with virtually everyone who had been playing the game in tow.

Best was now crouching on the ground, blood gushed from his face to the ground. I couldn't tell if it came from his nose, mouth or even his cheek that had rammed into the steel fence. He had one knee and one hand on the ground and with the other, he tried to feel his face, smearing his hand in the process.

Oh God, there's so much blood!

Naomi and I rounded the corner to enter the court. The boys had now gotten to Best, who still had blood oozing from his face. TJ joined him on the ground, holding onto his shoulders.

"Look at me." He ordered.

"I'm fine, men." Best assured him but that didn't assuage our concern. Some of the boys crouched and even squatted to get a better look at him.

"You sure?" One boy asked, I recognised him as a science student.

"Yeah, I think It's just a nosebleed." Best responded.

Naomi and I stopped before them and Naomi forced her way through to him, not caring who she shoved aside.

"It doesn't look like one to me." She said and he lifted his gaze to look at her as he dropped to a sitting position on the ground. His eyes then travelled to mine and I noticed the trail of blood from his naris, down his chin, around his mouth and even his shirt to the small puddle of blood on the ground. He even had a bruise on his right cheek from the gruesome contact with the steel fence. "God, there's so much blood on the ground."

"I'm sorry, Bro." A fair, tall boy beside me spoke up. "It was me. I thought you would -"

"It's fine, I was the one who turned around." Best replied, waving him off.

"I'm really sorry though." The poor boy looked like he would cry. "I didn't know you would -"

"Timi, It's okay. It's not your fault he got distracted." TJ chimed in.

"Yeah, and It's not as bad as it looks." Best assured, giving him a thumbs up with his bloody hand.

"So it doesn't hurt...?" Another boy asked.

"Of course it hurts. My entire face is on fire." Best replied. "But It's not that bad sha."

"Best, you're still bleeding." It was the first time I had spoken and all eyes were now on me.

Best held my gaze, inaudibly gulping. "I bleed too much, that's all."

"Here, use this to wipe the blood." I walked up to kneel next to him, handing him my white handkerchief.

"Thanks." Best instantly bunched it up, placing it under his nose.

"Are you sure It's not broken though?" Naomi asked, her tone laced with concern.

"Didn't you also hit your head on the ground?" One boy kneeling next to TJ asked.

"Yeah, I'm pretty sure he hit his head on the ground too." TJ confirmed.

"Oh God..." I began to feel his head, weaving my fingers into his silky moist hair for any bumps, contusions or blood.

"I'm fine, seriously." Best insisted but we weren't having any of it. Whilst I was checking his head, TJ was checking his arm. Others simply scrutinised him.