Chapter 86

Dedicated to Iyanuoluwa-Temi

Song for chapter: Changes By Xxxtentacion, John Cunningham

Abel

Human beings were parasitic beings, the worse part is that they were parasitic to their own species. An individual would cling to another just as long as it would benefit them and the other would serve as nothing but a lifeline. Most people were unfortunately designated as the hosts in the parasitic, symbiotic relationship humans often employed - vessels whose only purpose was to give.

Parasite...

The word ricocheted in his head, threatening to escape his mouth as he peered down at the girl at his feet, on her knees, clinging to him.

"You don't know what you've cost me..." He uttered, standing akimbo.

"Do you think I'm doing this for pleasure?" She wailed, planting her hands on the floor, now on her hands and knees, looking down. "Look at me, Abel. I've ruined my future, I should be out of the country now! My dealer, my cousin, and almost every boy in my life. I don't even know whose child I'm carrying."

"Even if I agree to this bullshit, you still have a lot of fixing to do with your life."

"Just play your part. I'm not asking for you to establish a relationship with me. Please... my life is over if you don't do this, Abel." Bisola was still sobbing. "My father can not know. If it's you, it would be fine, I know it. My father reverences your family. You're not the father, we both know that, I'm not lying about it. But it's between, Israel, my dealer Ganwai, and my cousin Tunji. Israel isn't in the country, and I can't possibly tell my parents I'm pregnant for a junkie, the same one they've driven from the house on multiple occasions, and Tunji-"

"Your cousin, Bisola-"

"I'm adopted. He's not my blood cousin."

"It's still messed up. You both messed with family ties."

"Look I'm not even going to bother explaining how I started fucking him, so you can give me moral lessons. It won't make it any less deplorable!" She sobbed. "I know I'm a digusting person! And I probably don't deserve anything! It's completely selfish asking you to ruin your relationship for me but I'm begging you, please! It stays between me and you! You can't tell anyone it's a farce, not even Lucky, not her! I already told her, I'm actually eight weeks pregnant but I told her I'm five weeks pregnant and that's what we're going to tell everyone too! It won't be forever, I promise. I'll find a way to tell them the truth after the baby's born and-and I-I I'll get my act together and I'll leave the country then for my education as it should be -"

"Do you think it's that simple?" He sneered in disbelief.

"It should be!"

"You'll be disappointing your parents, and then, when it's time to tell the truth, how will you know the father then? Except you find another person to dump the paternity on again. And if you tell the truth that you actually don't know, you think they'll just be unfazed and let you leave your child behind or what? Who's going to look after the child? Your child! You're taking this too lightly, Bisola"

"Worry about the part that only involves you. Leave everything else to me."

"No, no, no..." He pressed a hand on his temple. "This isn't just about my relationship with Lucky. These are family ties. Do you realise my mother's going to be lied to as well? Don't you even have regard for your parents? And my mother? This is a very sick game you're playing!"