Chapter 67

Song for chapter: Brave By Jhene Aiko.

______________________________

Lucky

"Excuse me?" Mum was shocked.

"I'm not apologising, Mum."

"Bukky -" I tried to intervene but she cut me off.

"Oh my God, I'm not apologising. What for? To an unemployed man who drinks, beats random people up – including his own daughter – and a man who cheats on his wife with the same prostitutes he speaks of with so much disdain!?"

Silence.

"Dad's cheating on you, Mum. He is cheating on you! He has a mistress! I saw her approach him that day he took me to the mall! He told me to wait outside while they both entered his car!" She was crying now. "Like I'm worth nothing, he told me to wait outside! Stand by the car like an idiot! I saw them! He gave her lots of money and he kissed her! Not caring that I could've seen them!"

     I began to understand why she came home so angry that day. I was gobsmacked, mum's expression was hard to decipher. She seemed surprised but not too surprised. It was more like she was surprised at Bukky's outburst, surprised she knew. She didn't seem angry in the slightest way.

She should be! Why wouldn't she be...!?

Unless... she already knows!

"She was barely dressed, Mum!" Bukky cried out. "And she was so much younger than you! Dad's a bad person! He's a bad father, can't -"

     Reaching breaking point, Dad sprang up to our horror and grabbed Bukky by the arm, smacking her across the face. She screamed in pain, reaching for her cheek but he pulled her away from the chair, flinging her away like a rag doll. She cried out in pain and I couldn't help the scream that escaped my lips as well.

But I wasn't the only one who screamed, mum did too. In a matter of seconds, she was on her feet, racing to him. I rose up, though keeping my distance as I watched the scene unfold.

"Philip!" Mum pushed back and ran towards him. "How dare you!?" She grabbed his arm but he shrugged her off. "I told you not to try this! Get away from her!"

     Dad shoved her aside but I was there on time to catch her fall. It wasn't easy because she was much taller and bigger than me.

     Looming over Bukky's small figure on the floor, he began to fumble with his belt, successfully unbuckling it. Bukky simply sobbed on the floor, anticipating the worse.

Oh God, this can't be happening!

"Daddy, please don't do it!" I cried out.

Mum pushed herself off me and raced to him, gripping his arm. "I told you not to touch her, you bastard!"

"Get off me, you idiot!" Dad drove his elbow into her face and she reeled backwards. He swung his arm back and lashed somewhere between her neck and shoulder.

"Mum!" I screamed in horror.

     Undaunted, she came at him again and he gave her an echoing backhand across the face, successfully knocking her off her feet. She whimpered in pain but still reached for his ankle, and this provoked him to drive his foot into her mid-section.

"Daddy, no! The baby! She's pregnant!" I ran to her now still frame on the floor.

Silence.

     I felt him watching me, looking like a deer in the headlights as if he'd just remembered. I knelt before her and gently turned her over to find her eyes closed. I supported her upper body on my laps and reached for her arm, shaking her but she was unresponsive. My eyes travelled to her legs and saw a small pool of blood between her legs and I gasped, reaching up to meet my dad's gaze.