Chapter 48

"You don't get to decide what
means something to me and
what doesn't."

~ Brenda Hodnett.

_________________________

Lucky

     The sun was scorching outside, the collar of my shirt was drenched in sweat and It began to irritate me as it rubbed against my neck. It was so maddening, I contemplated ripping my clothes off like a werewolf at full moon even though it meant I would be presumed mad by passersby and street vendors.

     TJ and I maintained our silence as we walked home, each of us too proud to initiate the conversation. Truth be told, I was upset, his comments earlier in school were rather harsh and unwarranted. I was on my own, brooding, he decided it was best to insult me. I realised it was rude, sitting there, spacing out. His comments pained me to the core, but because I wasn't in the mood to argue, I walked away.

     I took cognisance of the fact that his outburst was because of his beef with Abel, he wasn't his biggest fan, I would even go as far as to say he couldn't stand the mere mention of his name. TJ wouldn't be in a room and hear the name — Abel without scoffing or hissing. I was no fool, I knew it was because of his sister and I realised I still hadn't spoken to Abel about It. Worse part was I didn't know why, I guess I had built my world around the fact that everything he was and every single flaw he had was an aftermath from the turbulent home he grew up in, I didn't want anything to sully that perception.

He is not a bad person...

"Hmmm! This heat na dead oh... (This heat is serious)" TJ hissed, untucking his shirt. "And I bet there's no light at home too."

Of course...

"If this is what hell feels like, we're all screwed then." He added.

I maintained my silence, casually kicking gravels as we walked.

"I mean, It's like Nigeria has been sucked into a volcano." He lamented, sparing me a quick glance.

     This was his way of burying the hatchet with me, he wanted to make conversation like he hadn't just treated me like dirt. I wouldn't have It though, I was still seething, I would forgive him tomorrow.

"Lucky," I guess he realised I wasn't going to answer him so he decided to try a different approach.

"Look, If you want to finish what you started -"

"I'm sorry na..." TJ cried out. "I just really don't like him and you know why."

I sighed, knowing I was still at fault. "It's fine. Just for the record, he's not my boyfriend -"

"... yet." He contributed.

I rolled my eyes. "He's not a bad person though..."

"You're not gonna convince me."

"He really isn't. I mean sure, he's a grouch, hotheaded and rugged -"

"You're already defending him, it means you like him."

"Don't say such nonsense, TJ. I'm just someone who's gotten to know him and I see him in a way that none of you do."

"Oh, come on. Don't be poetic with me..." TJ hissed, throwing his hands up. "He's not a bad person, well I don't know how true that is but what I do know is that he's bad for you. Forget about bad boys, they complicate lives, It's not as perfect and beautiful as It's conveyed in the movies and novels. It's an illusion. Those movies? They brainwash you. The bad boy will always be boisterous, cocky and arrogant. He'd still pick random fights just for sadistic satisfaction, he'd still make you cry even if he eventually falls for you. I just don't understand it. Why him? He's so brutish and moody, he's got a lot of baggage -"