Chapter 19

Lucky

     Saturday morning, we slept like logs. Subconsciously, I could tell it was late, by the noises and distant chatter from the streets but I still laid on the sofa with my face buried in the pillow half asleep. The sound of the door swinging open alerted me that someone had stepped into the room, I figured it was Linda's mum.

"Ahan!" She exclaimed. "It's ten in the morning and you're all still sleeping!? Oya oya, up now! (come on, come on, up now!)"

     Naomi and Linda's complaints were audible, I opened my eyes and smiled softly when I found them covering their heads with the comforter.

"These girls!" Mrs Ike hissed and yanked it off them.

"Ugh, Mum!"

"Go away, woman!"

"Excuse you..." She said, then shoved her pointer in my direction and said. "And you Lola, before I face you, you better open your eyes."

I chuckled and replied. "I'm up, I'm up!"

     Linda and Naomi realised they weren't going to win the war, they gave up and sat up — all the while muttering under their breaths.

"Mum, you're so annoying." Linda uttered as she walked into the bathroom.

"My friend go and freshen up joor." Mrs Ike then turned to Naomi and I. "Anyways, I decided to take you and your cousin with me to work -"

"Ah, torture!"

"No, please...!"

They simultaneously replied, Linda's was from the bathroom.

"- today. And you Lola, since It's not yet three, you'll come with us and we could all have fun together!" She squealed with her gaze on me, she then raised her brows, awaiting my reply.

"We'll be ready in forty minutes, Mrs Ike." I assured her, she twisted her lips and then snapped her fingers before exiting the bedroom.

    Linda's mother, Mrs Ikechukwu owned  a cozy eatery on the outskirts of town. I remember back when I was in Saint James, during the holidays, Linda and I would go with her to work, It'd be boring but sometimes we'd assist the waiters and wait tables, deciding to join the 'fun'. Unlike Linda and I, Naomi had never done this, but there was always a first time for everything.

     I mildly jolted when Naomi slapped my arm, I found her sitting next to me on the sofa, waving all five fingers in front of my face. I hadn't even seen her leave the bed. I flashed her a sheepish smile — my way of apologising for spacing out whilst she was talking, she gave me another smack and I audibly winced this time.

"Ah, kilode!? (Ah, what is it!?)" I caressed my arm, scooting away from her.

She giggled. "hehe, sorry I thought you were still stuck in your romantic daydream."

My eyes widened."Ro-romantic what now? pfft, please..." I subconsciously avoided her gaze. "Who do I have to fantasise bout...?"

     I got up from the sofa, wanting to get away from the 'love detective' but she grabbed my arm and roughly yanked me back down.

Chai, this girl is violent...

I feel bad for her future husband.

"Temilola...!" She called me by my middle name. "Who said anything bout fantasising, ehn? I said daydream!"

"Same thing, na."

"Lie!"

"Oya, what's the difference?"