Chapter 43

Song for chapter: There For You By Martin Garrix & Troye Sivan

Lucky

One after the other, students collected their topics and chattered amongst themselves, searching for their pair. When it was my turn, I collected mine and returned to my seat.

"What does yours say!?" Best harshly asked directly into my ear. He still hadn't found his pair, his topic was: Beauty Is Skin-deep (Negating). Much to his delight, TJ had been paired with Naomi.

"Uhm..." I uttered as I gently unfolded the paper. I stared at the words before reading them aloud. "Violence Is Imperative In Parenting......" I took a minute to stomach the topic. "... Negating."

"Wow, that's a bit melancholic..." TJ voiced out.

"Who hasn't gotten their pair?" Mr Brume suddenly asked. "Stand up if you haven't."

I stood up, Best, Isabel, Ebimo, Bassey and Abel followed suit. When I noticed Ebimo was on his feet, I immediately began praying he wouldn't be my pair. I would rather fail than pair up with him. I looked at Best and noticed he too didn't want to be paired with Ebimo.

"Ejiofor, what's your topic?" Mr Brume probed.

This riveted the entire class to him, he was standing tall in his six-four glory with one hand shoved in the pocket of his khaki slacks. He had his blazer on, and the sleeves were pushed up to his forearms. From where I stood, I could see his scars. Abel was silent for a while before he lowered his gaze and read from his paper.

"Violence Is Imperative In Parenting." My heart skipped a beat and he continued with a poker-face. "... Negating."

"Who amongst you is supporting that same topic?" Mr Brume asked.

Involuntarily, my hand flew up, riveting everyone's attention to me.

~*~*~*~

So when your tears roll down your pillow like a river,
I'll be there for you,
When you're screaming but they only hear
you whisper,
I'll be loud for you.
But you gotta be there for me too.

Troye Sivan's lyrics struck my heart, I found myself stuck in a reverie. In a labyrinth of my own thoughts, I tried to find my way out, I was submerged in my emotions.

Ugo...

Why can't I end the day without thinking of you?

Positioned before the vanity, I tugged the sleeve of my sweater till it covered my palm before cupping my chin with my elbow propped on the desk. I recalled the things Abel had said to me in school and my lips tilted up into a smile. Even though he wasn't there in my presence, I still got butterflies and my heart still raced, I didn't understand why I felt the way I did but I knew I loved the feeling.

I shifted to the edge of my seat and peered at the screen of my laptop. I placed my forearms on the table by the sides of the laptop, till my fingers eventually found their way to the keyboard and they danced smoothly, creating words.