Playing With Chance - Chapter 2

Mornings suck.

I dragged my half dead carcase into the kitchen with a groan and sat at the table.  

A few seconds passed and a bowl of oatmeal landed in front of me.  I gave a grateful look to my mom and started to slowly spoon the liquid into my mouth.

"So, how did your first day at school go?" she asked leaning across the table to grab my now empty bowl.

Mom is a doctor, so she was only ever around in the mornings.  Something about how she works late, but only goes in at a certain time in the mornings.

As annoying as that could be if there was any trouble, I didn't usually mind because it meant that I had the house to myself for the most part.

"Did you meet anyone new?" she asked pulling me from my thoughts about her occupation.

I looked into her deep blue eyes that were exact copies of mine and smiled.

"Everyone is new, and I had to have talked to someone right?"

She raised one eyebrow to look at me with disbelief, "You didn't talk to anyone, did you?"

"Did too."

"Okay I need names and conversation topics."

"Mom," I wined, "I'm not that anti-social."

She looked at me with doubt and said, "You sat in the lunch room, and glared at every one for the first month at you last school."

I couldn't help it.  I burst out laughing, "The looks people gave me were freaking hilarious."

A stern look made it's way on her face, "Elizabeth, it is not healthy to push people away like you do.  You should be trying to make friends."

"If it helps I talked to this girl named Kayley and a guy named Pri...I mean Chance."

Not that either of them were likely to talk to me again.

"Did you almost call someone Prick?"

"Yes," I said with a sheepish smile, "But I talk to him, that has to count for something right?"

She got a look somewhere between disappointment and desperation, "No, honey, it doesn't count for anything."

I shrugged my shoulders and stood up, "Well it's been great talking to you but I really need to go to school now."

"Stop," she said with exasperation.

"Yeah?" I questioned worried that she might make me do something.  It really would be tragic if she had me bring someone home for her to meet.  Especially since I don't think I could get any of them to talk to me anyways.

"You forgot you lunch," she said pointing to the counter where my lunch box sat.

I smiled at her, "Thank you.  I just don't know what I would do without you, mommy dearest."

"Starve?" she suggested with a smile.

"Something like that," I laughed and skipped out of the house to my old Mercedes.

I was still in a good mood when I walked through the doors of school, but that instantly changed when I looked around me.

Looking down I noticed that I did indeed have pants on.  

What is with these people and staring at me for no reason.

Keeping my thoughts off my face was one of my specialities and I'm sure I had a perfect poker face while I walked through the halls.