Playing With Chance - Chapter 23

"Elizabeth!" I heard Chance call, knocking on the door to get me to open it, "Let me in."

"Only monsters, and bill collectors knock on the door," I mumbled to myself rocking back, and forth.

"Elizabeth, please......"

"Only monsters, and bill collectors," I whispered, pulling my knees closer to my chest while keeping up my rocking motion.

"Let me explain."

"Monsters, and bill collectors. Monsters, and bill collectors. Monsters and bill collectors," I repeated trying to block out the sound of the pounding on my door.

"I'm not going to hurt you. Just let me in."

"Monsters, and..."

"Elizabeth! Open the door!"

"bill collectors knock on the door. Only monsters knock on the door. Only monsters knock on the door."

"Are you really going to let us freeze out here?"

"Humans that are friends don't knock."

"Elizabeth. We aren't monsters. Let us in so I can explain."

"No! Only monsters knock!"

"Would you stop calling us monsters? We aren't monsters. Just let us in so we can explain."

"A human wouldn't have been able to hear that."

"You can hear me can't you?"

"You're yelling!"

"So are you."

"Not true."

Even when I was speaking louder my voice hadn't come above a whisper. My voice was too broken to go any louder.

How long has it been since he talked to me?

Crap!

Is he going to try to get into the house another way?

Can he get into the house another way?

"Elizabeth," I heard from in front of me, "Look at me."

Well, that answers that question.

Note to self. Next time I'm trying to hid from the monsters that are trying to get into my house, remember to lock the front door too.

A hand came into my line of sight, about to touch my chin. I flinched, and the hand backed away.

If he didn't knock to get in does that mean...

No! He's still a monster. Humans freak out when they see someone turn into a giant wolf. Only monsters stay calm.

"Listen to me. We aren't monsters. I'll never hurt you....."

"I don't believe you...." I mumbled into my knees.

"Have I ever hurt you before? I'm not a monster. How can you believe I'm a monster? I'm not a monster," Chance said with a mixture of pleading and hurt in his voice.

I started to feel just a little pity for him, but I shook it off, "Get out of my house."

"Elizabeth...."

"Leave!" I yelled, finally managing to get my voice louder than a whisper.

I heard retreating footsteps, followed by the soft closing of my front door.

Monsters don't.....

No! He's still a monster. He's one of them.

Eventually I fell asleep, but it was full of the nightmares that use to be a nightly occurrence.