Playing With Chance - Chapter 24

So..... what do you do the day after you learn that nothing is what you thought it was, and the only friends you have can turn into massive wolves?

First you question your sanity.

Then when you realize that the eyes don't tell lies, you get pissed at them for being monsters.

After you decide that you're getting no where with the whole being pissed thing, and you can't just sit around and debate the issues of the world, you go get ice cream.

There isn't a particularly good reason for that, but I'm sure it will make me feel slightly better.

Besides, what better way is there to contemplate if you're ever going to talk to them again, then over a nice waffle cone of ice cream?

Admittedly I think the answer to that question is no, but that doesn't mean I can't decide to contemplate it some more as an excuse to get ice cream.

I pulled into the parking lot of the ice cream shop that Chance took me to when we found out that Alexander asked Brandy to be his girlfriend.

It may be true that I make the best ice cream Sundays ever, but I didn't really feel like making it today. I just wanted to be able to sit down, and have someone put the ice cream in front of me. No need for me to focus on what was going on so I didn't end up with tuna fish in my ice cream instead of cherries again.

"May I take your order?" a girl that looked about my age asked with a smile.

"I think I'll just get the same thing I had last time. Mint..." I started before she cut me off.

"Chocolate chip with Oreo on top, in a waffle cone. I'll be right out with that," she said before skipping off with a smile.

She needs to get a really good tip for that. Even if it was slightly creepy that she knows what I ordered last time I was here.

A few minutes later she came back with the waffle cone I asked for.

"How did you know what I ordered last time?" I asked taking it from her happily.

She shrugged, "We don't get a lot of people here that we don't know. It makes you more interesting than most people."

I'm more interesting than most people without being new around here.

"Makes sense."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, why not." I said happy for the distraction she was giving me form a certain issue I was having at the moment.

"Where is Chance? I thought you two went everywhere together."

And there goes the distraction.

"We had a..... disagreement."

Understatement of the year.

"That's too bad," she said looking at me with sympathy, "I hope you work it out."

Is this part of living in a small town?

"Me too," I said knowing that it wasn't going to happen.

She gave me one last smile before turning around, and going back to cleaning the tables.

I guess Sunday wasn't one of their more busy days.

"Do you know how hard it is to catch you alone?" I heard someone ask from across the booth I was sitting in.

"What?" I asked looking up.

"You always have people with you. Even when you're at home you have your adoptive siblings, or Chance with you. It's quite annoying.