Playing With Chance - Chapter 6

Friday!  

Yay!  Elliot is coming today!  

For once I didn't mind the fact that he texted me in the morning before I was awake.

"I'm going to meet you at school, okay?  I don't think I will be able to get there in time for me to meet you at your house."

"That's fine.  I know that you need to take your time doing your hair."

"That is not why I will only get there in time for school to start."

"Oh yeah?  What's your excuse then?"

"I need to sleep, and you live about an hour away."

"It's not that far."

"Were you speeding last time you made the trip?"

"Not by much."

"I don't believe you.  I'm getting in the car now.  Since I go the speed limit, I should be there for your first period class."

"I'll meet you at the door."

"Thanks."

I put my phone away, and started to get ready for the day.

I walked into the school, and headed for the front office.

"Good morning," I said in my sweetest voice, "My friend's mom was planning on sending him to live at my house for the rest of the year, but he insisted that he be able to check out the school before, so he could make sure he would still have the challenging aspect to his classes.  Is there anyway that he could come to all my classes with me today?"

A little white lie never hurt anyone, right?

"Really?  Why is his mom going to send him here?" 

Nosey small town people.

"My mom is worried about leaving me at home alone all the time.  She's the new doctor in town, and isn't home much."

The trick to lying successfully is to mix in just enough of the truth that it's believable.

"Oh.  That's unfortunate.  Just have your friend sign in at the front desk when he shows up, and have him get a visitors pass."

I smiled at her, and said a quick, "Thank you," before turning around, and walking out to wait by the front doors.

"So?" I heard a familiar voice say from beside me, "Elliot's coming to live with you?"

I almost laughed at Prick's question, but I held it in, and looked at him with a smile playing across my features.

"Yeah!  Isn't it great?"

He got this sad look in his eyes that was almost genuine, "If you say so...."

I nodded my head really fast, "I do say so!  I can't wait!"

His expression turned thoughtful, but it didn't lose the sad look.

It made me feel like cracking up laughing, but the feeling passed when I saw a tall person with broad shoulders, and artfully mused hair step through the doors.

As soon as he saw me he held out his arms wide, and I grinned.

Running as fast as I could I jumped in his arms.

He spun me around once before putting me down, and looking at me with a smile.

"What's our cover story?" he asked with a mischievous look in his eyes, knowing I had to tell the office lady something to get her to let him go to my classes with me.