Playing With Chance - Chapter 13

I stood outside the door of my math class thinking. 

How can I make this less awkward?  

Tough question.

Maybe.....  Na, that won't work.

"Just, go in," Hero said motioning for me to do so, "and talk to him.  Not much to it."

"Hush," I said, "I'm trying to think."

"What do you need to think about?  Just go in, and talk to him."

"What am I going to do.  Just walk up, and say 'hi' like I never stopped talking to him?  No.  That would be weird.  Let me think for a second."

He held up his hand, and started to put his fingers up one by one.

"No, don't give me a time limit.  That's rude."

"You need somebody to be rude to you every once in a while," he said putting up the last finger.

Grabbing my shoulders he started to push me into the classroom.  

"I can walk on my own," I protested glaring at him from over my shoulder.

"Then walk."

"Stop pushing me."

"I'm afraid you will turn around, and go back outside to 'think'."

"No I won't.  I finished my thinking.  Stop pushing."

"Fine," he said pulling his hands off my shoulders, "Let's see this plan of yours."

I gave him a quick glare, but started to walk toward my destination.

He was sitting in the back row staring at the whiteboard with a determined look on his face.  

That's a nice improvement.

Wonder what he's planning....

Oh well.  Doesn't involve me.

As soon as I was close enough to do so, I sat on his lap sideways.  He looked like he was about to snarl at me before he realized who it was, and surprise settled on his face.

"I think I want a pet wolf for Christmas this year.  That way I would never get lost, and I could legitimately say that I got to pet a wolf, but I'm not sure if I actually deserve anything for Christmas this year because I was mean to someone for no real reason, and I don't think......" my speech was suddenly cut off when I no longer had air to speak with.  That's okay though because I think I was forgiven.  

Chance was holding me in the biggest bear hug I had ever received.

I hugged him back, and waited for him to get it out of his system.

"I thought I did something wrong," he mumbled into my hair as he held me.

"Not that I can think of.  Of course I may have to say there was attempted murder in there somewhere because I can't really breath right now."

"Sorry," he said pulling back to look at me.

He smiled before he seemed to think of something, and the smile was replaced with a thoughtful expression, "You do realize that Christmas was over a month ago, right?"

"Early planning never hurt anyone."

He laughed, and hugged me again.

"Lack.  Of.  Oxygen," I gasped causing him to laugh again, and pull back.

"Did you ditch after lunch yesterday?" I asked remembering how I couldn't find him.

"Yes," he said looking sheepish.