Playing With Chance - Chapter 1

I walked through the doors and looked around with curiosity.  

It was the middle of the year and I was going to need to learn quickly who I needed to avoid and who I would talk to, but not tell anything to.  I also had some major sucking up to do with the teachers.  

People say that the way to get good grades is to do your homework and study and all that crap, but it isn't.  If you want good grades you make sure you try in class and make the teacher think you are interested in whatever they ramble on about.  If they think your smart they will be nicer when they grade your work.  Of course it helps that I am smart.  

I know.  I'm slightly cocky but as long as I admit it to myself and I don't let other people know; I don't really see it as a problem.

My musing was interrupted by a person running into me.  

What the hell?

Oh ya.  I haven't gotten the whole don't mess with her because she doesn't react thing going on yet.

"I'm so sorry.  I wasn't watching where I was going," I heard a girl say.

Maybe she didn't do it on purpose.

Looks like I found the person I'm going to talk to.  Not that I'm going to let her know anything about me, but she looks like she will make a good partner in classes.

I smiled at her and said, "No problem.  I guess I wasn't either.  I was trying to find my classroom and I've had this stupid map glued to my nose for the past five minutes.  I'm hopelessly lost."

This was a tiny school.  So not really but it made a good reason for her to want to talk to me.

"You must be new.  What class are you looking for?"

I pulled my schedule out even though I had memorized it last night.

"I have math with Jenson."

She was quick to reply, "Cool I have him too.  You are almost there.  We just need to turn down this hall, and he is right there."

A smile slipped onto my face as I held out my hand and said, "My name is Elizabeth."

"Kayley," she replied holding out her hand.

In class I decided that I wanted information on the people around me.  There wouldn't be much because of the size of the school but information was information.

"So," I started, "is there anybody that I should stay away from?"

She scrunched up her nose for a second and answered with distaste, "If you are unfortunate enough to chance across Chance you should probably run in the other direction.  He can be dangerous."

"And how, might I ask, do I know who Chance is?"

A disbelieving look entered her eyes, "Find the most gorgeous guy in this school and you have the right guy.  Why is it that all the hot ones are cocky jerks?"

"Because being hot makes people become cocky jerks?"

"That might be it," she replied sadly.

"Can you define hot for me?  I'm not sure what it entitles in this school."

"Well...," she started with a thoughtful expression, "Tall, forest green eyes, black hair, awesome abs, and if you find all that in one package then you got your guy."

"Interesting," I said trying to sound like I thought it was, "is there anybody else that I should be weary of?"

Without further prompting she launched into a full account of all the people around us, and who was annoying, mean, sweet, and every other way to describe a person.