Playing With Chance - Chapter 31

It didn't take very long to find who I'm assuming was Abbie.  

Of course it's Abbie.  Sarah has a different color of eyes.

I don't really need your input.

A girl with dark brown hair, and a mixture of green, and blue eyes was sitting on the lawn in the backyard staring intently at a tree across from her.

"Abbie!" Orpheas called.

Guess I was right.

Her gaze didn't move from the spot on the tree as she spoke, "Over here!"

"What are you doing?"

"Waiting for Sarah to get back!"

"Okay...."

Just then I heard the pounding of large paws on the ground, racing at full speed toward the house.

I might have been slightly alarmed at the sound, but one sniff of the air told me that the people coming our way were Alexander, and Hero.  Brandy might have been with them too, and there was another scent that I couldn't really place that I'm assuming was Sarah.

A few seconds later Hero and Alexander burst through the trees in their wolf forms, and came skidding to a stop just after the tree.

"Who was first?" someone asked from Hero's back.

Looking closely I saw that there was a young girl with big brown eyes, and hair to match it, clinging with all her might to Hero's fur.

Confused I looked over at Alexander to find that Brandy was sitting on his back just like Sarah was sitting on Hero's.

"I think it was Hero," Abbie said looking at the speaker.

"Yes!" the girl screamed pumping one of her fists into the air.  She slid off Hero's back, and held out her hand to him, "High five!"

Hero pulled his paw off the ground, and put it gently against her hand with a wolf like grin on his face.

"What were you doing?" I asked with curiosity.

"We were racing!" the girl said with a hint of mischief in her eyes, "And before you say anything about how dangerous it was, I would like to point out that it is more safe than riding a horse.  He can think, and save me if I start to fall off.  His back is slightly broader, so I don't need a saddle as much as I would with a horse.  And to top off that wonderful list I would like to say that I'm not steering at that speed.  He is, and he's able to take in a lot more information, a lot quicker because of his advanced senses."

"Don't let her innocent appearance fool you.  She's really a little con-artist," Orpheas whispered under his breath.

Hero gave a cough that sounded almost like a laugh at what her dad said, and nodded his head with a wolfie grin on his face.

"It's still dangerous," Orpheas called louder to his kid.

"So is walking across flat land, or swimming in the ocean.  That doesn't mean you should try to avoid it.  Life's more fun if you do more than a few things that are dangerous," Sarah replied with a raised eyebrow.

Orpheas cursed under his breath, "Don't let me catch you doing something like that again," he grumbled with a scowl.

I didn't miss his wording, and I don't think Sarah did either, "Don't worry daddy I won't ever let you catch me racing werewolves again," she said with a grin on her face, "By the way I would like to introduce you to my new big brother, Hero.  The other two are Brandy, and Alexander.  Your turn.  Who's this?"