Playing With Chance - Chapter 18

I stared at the mirror, regretting my decision to let Brandy take me shopping.

"I look ridiculous."

"No you don't.  You would look ridiculous if I let Hero choose the outfit, but I chose that one.  It looks great."

"It looks... scary."

"Only because you're not use to embracing your inner beauty.  If it annoys you too much don't think about it."

Easy for her to say.  She's use to it.

If mom didn't think that ballroom classes would help with my grace I would have never heard of heels.  

I'm sure she was right about the graceful thing, but I hate high heel shoes.

That wasn't the only thing that was wrong with this outfit though.  Far from it.  

It only went mid-thigh, It has sparkles, and there's no way a dress without any kind of sleeves is going to stay up.  Not going to complain about the color, I love the light blue, but the rest of it's horrible.  Why would someone make lines of glitter run down something?

To make things worse, Brandy insisted that she get to curl my hair.  It was currently falling in loose rings down to just below my shoulder blades.  I can't get something like that to stay.  It's going to look funny by the time the dance gets started.

My make-up was just as bad.

I scrunched my nose at my reflection.

"Elizabeth.  You look fine.  Stop making faces at my work."

"Your work?" I asked looking at Brandy in the mirror, "You're right.  I do look like a piece of work."

"No you don't.  Grow some self confidence.  You look beautiful."

Can't I look beautiful without three different shades of eyeshadow?

"I'm going to go downstairs for a minute.  Don't touch anything."

Why would someone ever tell you not to do something?  That makes it so the first thing you want to do, is go out and do whatever they told you not to do.

I waited until I couldn't hear her anymore before washing my face thoroughly.  

Ha!  There isn't time to fix it now!

Too bad I can't get my hair wet.  If I do I would look like a wet cat when my 'date' shows up.

Speaking of which.....

I ran down about half the stairs before I ran into something hard.

What the hell?  I think I need to stop running places.  

It would probably help the whole running into things if I wasn't wearing the heels.  

Before I could fall from the impact I felt two strong hands grab my shoulders to steady me.  I looked up and smiled sheepishly.

Okay so not running places would not help my issues at all.  

This wasn't my fault..... Entirely.

"Hi," I said to my rescuer/the reason I needed rescuing.

He dropped his hands and started to stare at me.  

I could feel my grin start to slip off my face as I watched him.

Is something wrong?  

No, that can't be it.  If there was something wrong he wouldn't look so.... in awe.