Playing With Chance - Chapter 5

Texting Elliot in the mornings seems to have become a habit. Not that I'm complaining that he woke me up twenty minutes earlier, or anything. Just stating that it seems to have become a habit that I wake up to the sound of my phone telling me I had a new text.

"I just realized that I don't know the real name of the guy you're playing with."

"I need sleep."

"Okay tell me his name, and I'll leave you alone."

"Blackmail!"

"That isn't blackmail. It's persuasion."

"Blackmail!!!!! His name is Prick. Now let me sleep."

"THAT IS NOT HIS NAME!!!!!"

"Sure it is."

"Not his real name."

"Chance. Happy."

"Chance what?"

Why must he pursue this in the morning? He knows I don't like waking up. Especially on Mondays. Or is it Tuesday? I think it's Tuesday. That doesn't make it okay for him to wake me up.

I groaned before responding.

"I don't remember his last name. If you want me to function like a normal person you shouldn't wake me up at six."

"It's not six. It's six thirty. Now, what is his last name. Think child. Think!!"

"Var something."

"Varulfur?"

"Yeah that's the one."

"Are you serious!!!"

"Yes. Now can I sleep?"

"I'm coming down on Friday to meet him."

"Sure, sure. Now can I sleep?"

"Yeah, I'll shut up."

"I don't care if you shut up. I want you to stop texting me at five in the morning."

"But it's six forty."

"Stop texting."

"Yes mam!"

"STOP!!!"

There was a pause in the flow of texts coming from Elliot, so I though I was home free, but no. He had to text again.

Instead of reading the text, or even looking to see if it was actually from Elliot, I threw my phone at the chair on the other side of my room before curling up, and going back to sleep.

I didn't think about the fact that I still had a text waiting for me until I was at school.

It was in fact from Elliot.

"Tell Chance hi from the Varcolacs."

Seriously? He interrupted my sleep for that?

"Your last name isn't Varcolac. And how do you know him?"

"Blade and Blaze Varcolac know him. I was telling them that you met him, and they said to tell him hi from them."

"You couldn't have sent that text at seven?"

"I might have forgot."

"That is no excuse for keeping me awake."

"I know, I'm sorry."