Playing With Chance - Chapter 28

I wanted to close my eyes so I couldn't see what was about to happen, but I forced myself to keep them open, knowing that his death was pretty much my fault.  He wouldn't be in this situation if it weren't for me.  

"Goodbye," I heard him whisper as the first drops of blood started to run down his neck.

"Thank you," I choked out.

"Jeez," A familiar voice commented from the doorway, "You make it sound like I would let him die.  He only made sure that I got to you before these idiots could kill you."

A smile found it's way onto my face when I looked over, and found Chance leaning, almost casually, against the entrance to the front room.  If I didn't know him I would have said he looked like he was commenting on the weather, but I could see the tension in his shoulders, and the way his eyes almost glowed with hatred as he looked around the room.

"I know you're good at football kid, but I don't think attacking two trained killers while you have two injured comrades is quiet the same thing.  Why don't you just do the smart thing, and walk out?" Samael said with a smirk as he looked Chance up, and down.

"Your right, that would be the smart thing...  But that's the thing about me.  I don't always do the smart thing.  Especially when it comes to her.  For instance, I let Elizabeth try to wash ice cream out of my hair while I was in a bathroom.  I was also stupid enough to fall for the whole, 'I've got something in my ice cream, see?' thing that lead to her trying to wash the ice cream out of my hair.  I have a bad tendency to do stupid stuff when it comes to her.  I don't think one more thing added to that list is going to hurt.  So, I'm going to stay and beat the shit out of the people that dared to touch her.  Because that may not be the smart thing to do, but hey, it is what I've already decided that I'm going to do."

"Oh well....  More fun for us.  Dunstan?  I don't think he's much of a threat.  Why don't you take care of lover boy, first."

Dunstan shrugged, and let Orpheas fall to the ground as he spun to face Chance with the knife clenched in one hand.

Chance pretended to yawn as he looked at the gleaming tip of the knife, but I saw his eyes narrow just a little at the blood there, "I would love to stay, and sink my teeth into your throat, but I think I have more important matters to deal with."

"So you're going to leave?" Dunstan asked with confusion.

"What makes you say that?  No, my more important matters are bleeding to death on a window sill. I'm just going to walk around you so I can get to my girlfriend."

Dunstan gave him an even more confused look.

Chance just grinned at him, and let out a shrill whistle.

I probably shouldn't have been surprised by what happened next, but I really wasn't use to being around a bunch of wolves.  The only time I ever saw werewolves was when I saw Hero and Brandy shift for the first time.  Ergo, the reason a horse scream escaped me when a smaller wolf jumped through the window beside me, (smaller being relative to the size of Hero when he first shifted,) and a larger one of the same color, dashed around Chance, followed by who I'm assuming was Alexander in his wolf form.

Alexander immediately rushed towards Dunstan.  I wasn't really surprised by this since that was where the smaller blond wolf was headed.  He wanted to protect Brandy.

Hero went straight for Samael with his teeth bared, and a low growl vibrating in his chest.

As soon as everyone was sufficiently distracted, Chance dodged around the snarling wolves that were trying to rip my would-be killers to shreds, and wrapped me up in his arms, trying to avoid my injuries.