Playing With Chance - Chapter 14

I could feel Chance's eyes glued to my back as I chopped up tomatoes and lettuce for tacos.  At first I found this slightly unnerving, but I kind of got use to it after about ten minutes.

"It's done!" Hero shouted pulling the beef off the stove just as I finished the vegetables.

"Brandy?" I asked.

"I think I've grated enough cheese for everyone to have their fill for a month," she answered looking at the plate full of it.

"Then I think we're ready," I said pulling the taco shells out of the oven.

I didn't make them, but my mom always use to heat the taco shells up before serving them, and I kind of picked up a lot of her kitchen habits.

"Will someone get the sour cream out of the fridge?"

"I got it," Brandy said trying to get off Alexander's lap, and failing miserably.

Guess Alexander liked it when she sat on his lap.  Not surprising.  He wasn't shy about the fact that he liked her.

"Hero's closer," I said trying not to laugh at Brandy's blush.

He complied with my wishes without comment, and set the sour cream on the counter were I was lining up the rest of the food.

"Okay," I said looking at the boys, who were staring at the food without blinking, "Ladies first."

"But I helped!" Hero protested.

"And that is why you get to go third.  Come on Brandy.  If we don't eat first I don't think there will be any left for us."

This time she managed to convince Alexander to let her up, but only after a promise that she would sit on his lap for dinner.

Hero grumbled something about being sexist, and how he should be allowed to go with the other cooks, but he waited patiently as Brandy, and I both made a couple tacos each before getting his own.

As I predicted there was nothing by the time Chance and  Alexander had gotten their plates full.

I think they eat even more than Hero. 

That's saying something considering Hero ate twice as much as Brandy, and I put together.

We were all eating when I heard the front door open, and footsteps started coming toward the kitchen.

"Wow," I heard someone say from the door way to the kitchen, "You actually have company."

"Hi mom," I said going over to give her a hug, "What are you doing home?"

"Got off work early."

"Getting off at five instead of eleven or midnight is really early."

"I was talking to a friend on my break, and they said that you had people coming over.  Forgive me for being doubtful, but I had to see it for myself.  So I kind of took the rest of the day off.  Who's here?"

"Brandy is the only other girl,  Hero is the one who currently has sour cream leaking out the sides of his mouth.  They're the twins that come over regularly.  Alexander is the one with brown hair.  I have no clue why he's here other than that he would make a cute couple with Brandy, and Hero decided that he was going to make it so they could spent a little more time together."

"I disagree with Brandy and him making a cute couple!" Hero put in.

"Your her brother.  It's your job to disagree," I told him before I finished my list, "The last one who is staring is Pri...  I mean Chance."