Playing With Chance - Epilogue

I walked into the ballroom holding on to Chance's arm, and looked around with curiosity.  

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the first annual wolf waltz!  A nice place to go because you are required to by the alpha of what ever pack you're from if you belong to any of the five surrounding packs.  We have food, dancing, and last but certainly not least, diplomacy.  Scheduled for the last day of school for the convenience of newly turned werewolves.  Same basic deal as the football games right?

You make it sound so formal.

We're wearing a ballgown.  It doesn't get much more formal.

Of course it does.

How?

I don't know.  Maybe if there was a chandelier.....

You obviously weren't paying attention when you walked in.  That is a chandelier.

Not really.....

Really?

Fine it's a chandelier, but the place is full of newly turned werewolves.  That means they're about 18.  If it was really formal it would have older people right?

Nope.  This is about as formal as it gets.  Age group doesn't matter.

Fine....

I stopped listening to my wolf, and looked around the room again.

Most of the people here shouldn't recognize me, but to my great surprise, and horror, a great deal of them stopped what they were doing to stare at me as I descended the stairs, and went into the crowd.  

Don't worry about it.  They probably did the same thing when Hope walked in, and Sarah, and Abbie.  Though it wouldn't have been quite as bad for any of them.  They didn't show up on the arm of the next alpha of the Varulfur pack.......  

Probably, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy the attention.

A low growl escaped Chance as he looked around the room with a glare.

Aw....  How cute!  

He's growling for no reason.  I don't see how that's cute.

Yes you do!!!

No I don't.

"Hush up," I mumbled to Chance, leading him over to the table full of food.

"But they were staring at you."

And that's what's cute about it!

That's not cute, it's just.... 

No it's cute.  You can't deny that to me.  Remember what Elliot said.  It's like trying to lie to your soul.  It's just not possible.

"They're just curious as to who will be the next Luna of your father's pack.  Don't be so mean to them."

"Says the girl who once shoved my face into a bowl of ice cream."

You didn't shove his face in it.  You shoved it in his face.  Not much of a difference, but still.....

Good times........

"Don't tell me that it didn't taste good."

He sighed, and looked down at me, "It's a natural part of werewolf nature to be protective of the ones we love.  You are going to have that more than most people.  Luna's always do, but especially since I had to save you once already.  You're just going to have to get use to it."