Playing With Chance - Chapter 25

School was weird.

Just like the first day I came, I kept getting funny looks from everyone, and people started to whisper every time I walked into a room. They didn't even try to keep it a secret. They would look at me before turning to their friends to talk.

It was getting annoying five minutes after I got to school.

By the time lunch rolled around I felt like socking someone in the face.  

Hard.

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't because Jack said that I needed to stay in a big crowd as much as I could, and that I shouldn't draw too much attention to myself.

I didn't do well not drawing too much attention to myself, so the least I could do is stay in a big crowd.

And if I punched someone I would get expelled.  That would make it significantly harder to stay in a big crowd.

On the bright-side lunch was better than any of the classes that I'd already had.

That doesn't mean I didn't wish I could have walked out, and left my bitches to their own devices.  But if everyone was too afraid of Chance to talk about it anywhere near him, and he has the same lunch as me both A days and B days, who am I to complain?

They had good reason to be afraid of him, and I think that helped the situation.  For me at least.....

I guess I wasn't the only one who felt like punching someone, and the other person that wanted to punch someone didn't feel the need to restrain himself.  From what I heard Chance punched the first person he overheard talking about it.  Of course I could be wrong, considering the fact that my information was purely from listening to conversations that I wasn't really a part of.

That's not really important though.....

What does seem important is the fact that, from what I heard, Chance punched someone, and I didn't get to watch.

Don't think I'm going to think too much about the fact that he was defending me when he did so....

Just for the mental record I'm keeping of this day, I would like to add that, punching people is not the way to deal with problems.  It only makes them worse......

After making them extremely funny.  I really wish I could have seen that.  It made my day better regardless of seeing it, or not because of the effect it had on my classmates, but still....

That would have been funny.

"Hey," said a voice from beside me, "I heard what happened, and I wanted to say that I'm sorry Chance was being a prick."

I let out a small laugh, and turned to look at the girl sitting next to me.

She looked familiar, but I couldn't place the face.

I've never seen her.  I know that.  I would remember someone with such an awesome red pixie cut, but her features screamed at me that I was wrong.

"My name is Hope," she said keeping the slight smile she'd had since I first looked at her.

"Elizabeth," I said.

"I know.  You're one of the most popular people in school.  Anyone that can wrap Chance around her fingers so easily, is bound to have a reputation."

"He's not wrapped around my fingers."

"He is, and he has been since you first met him.  Most people would have gotten punched for saying the kind of things you have.  I'm sure mom taught him not to punch girls, but I don't think that would have applied to someone that was treating him like he was three," said looking at me like I should know this, "and do you remember what happened to him when you stopped talking to him the last time?"