Careers Pt. 2

I would've thought getting back home and going to work would help take my mind off what had happened with Adam but I was so wrong. It probably didn't help that I also worked in music. The PR assistant for a local music company. Where upon coming back from England, everyone seemed to be all over The 1975. It felt like no matter where I was one of my coworkers brought them up. It probably had to do with the fact they had just been nominated for a Mercury Prize award and had a lot of buzz. Yet it didn't help that at the end of the day all the talk around the office only made me want to call Adam and tell him about everyone's excitement. No one knew he and I weren't on speaking terms, except my roommate, Nancy, who had picked me up from the airport after I changed my flight. The car ride back to our apartment a horrible attempt of me trying to explain what had happened through tears.

"Wait, so did you guys break up?" She asked, concerned. This only made me sob even more.

"I don't know. He said we should take a break. I-I-" I couldn't even finish the sentence cause the more I thought about it the more I felt like we had.

I heard someone call my name. Looking up, I saw my coworker Mark motioning for me to come over to him. His motions so dramatic and urgent I was a bit confused. Doing so, I noticed he has two of our other coworkers huddled around his computer.

"What's going on?" I asked, he pushed me into his desk chair and spun me so I faced the screen.

"It's about to start we didn't want you to miss your boo." He said leaning against the top of the chair. It was then I noticed it was a live stream. The words 'The 1975- Live' across the bottom. I had gone back to work and the boys had started their tour. One that was apparently being well documented.

"Guys we have a meeting that's about to start." I causally tried to get out of being forced to sit through this. Having not even seen Adam since that day. Nancy doing a superb job at keeping me shielded.

"You're trying to tell me you'd rather go to a meeting than see your man kill that stage. Girl be quiet." Mark playfully hit the top of my head. I felt myself trying to swallow the lump forming in my throat as the stage lights flashed. They were coming out. The girl beside me, who sadly I didn't know her name, raised the volume. My eyes on her hand that was on the mouse distracted me just as Adam strutted out onto the stage. The lights were dark, but even as he passed by the strobes I knew it was him. My whole body tensed. Everyone was quiet as they all absorbed the stream. A groan leaving Mattys mouth as the lights went pink and the beginning chords of Love Me began. I could feel my eyes pinch with tears as I couldn't look away from Adam. He'd gotten so comfortable on stage over the years it was fascinating to watch. My heart breaking as reality slapped me in the face.

"Honey you're one lucky girl. Look at him go. I'd love me some of that." Mark teased as he always did but I couldn't handle it today. Was he even mine anymore? Getting up, I ran to the bathroom feeling as though I'd be sick. Closing myself in the stall it felt like everything was caving in. Closing my eyes I tried to take deep breaths and slowly count to 10. It wasn't until I got to 35 that I felt okay and noticed my cheeks were sticky from my tears. Leaving the stall I looked at myself in the mirror. How pathetic. I never thought I'd be one of those girls so torn over a guy. I was independent and had a good job and friends and a man that I loved yet somehow managed to fuck it up. My head falling into my hands ready to cry again but I was able to stop it. I pulled myself together. I wouldn't do this here. I'd get through the rest of my day and then break down in the comfort of my home. It took a bit for the redness in my face to clear before I heading to the board room. Mark having saved me a seat beside him. Slipping in quietly, he immediately turned to me.

"You okay?" He whispered as a presentation was underway.

"Yea, I just miss him that's all. Emotions got the best of me." I forced a smile and rolled my eyes playfully. I mean technically I wasn't lying. I did miss him.

"If my man looked like that I'd miss him too." He put a comforting hand on my knee before turning back to the presentation. Bullet: dodged. The rest of the day consisted of me doing anything and everything I could to avoid seeing, hearing, or talking about The 1975 and Adam. Luckily my superior had a lot on her plate I was more than happy to help with. It made the day go by quick.

"Before you go!" Jane, the head of PR, stopped me as I was on my way out of her office.

"What's up?" I turned to her, thinking she had a project she'd need help with for the evening.

"I know you requested a few weeks off and it got denied.." She started and immediately my heart was racing, my mouth was dry, and there was a pit in my stomach.

"You do so much around here I didn't think that was fair so I talked to HR and was able to get you the next two weeks off. I'll have Mark take over for you. Go spend time with your boyfriend. " She smiled at me as this should be good news yet I was shaken to my core. Faking happiness, I thanked her before leaving her office. Grabbing my jacket and the rest of my things I left in a daze. The whole commute home was fuzzy.

"Hey!" Nancy greeted as I entered the apartment. She was cooking I could tell cause it smelled delicious. I made my way to the kitchen and sat at the counter as she continued to cook. It took her a second to notice I was still in a daze.

"What's wrong?" Her tone changing to worry. It was then I finally looked up and at her.

"Jane gave me the next two weeks off." Speaking out loud I noticed my throat was dryer than the Sahara.

"What? That's great! You could use a break, babe." She continued to stir whatever sauce she was making as she simultaneously looked down at the recipe open on her iPad. Clearly not picking up on the issue.

"Nancy, she gave me the next two weeks off to be with Adam." Even saying his name out loud took the wind from me.

"What do I do?" I asked, at a complete loss. She looked at me finally catching on. Putting my elbows on the counter I let my head fall into my hands.

"Go be with him." She said so confidently I was taken back.

"What?! I-I can't. He doesn't want to see me." I explained. Did she really think it was that easy?

"That's bullshit! He never said he didn't want to see you just that you should take a break. And! He was upset when he said that so he didn't mean it. I know you miss him. I hate seeing you so torn up and he's the only one who will make you feel better. I can only do so much. I know he misses you too." She said putting the bowl down and taking something out of the oven. I sat there taking what she had said in and then it hit me.

"Who did you talk to?" I knew Nancy all too well. And when it came to people she cared about she was sneaky but for the best. When she didn't immediately get defense I knew I was right. She only got defense if she was truly innocent. Otherwise she was quiet. Much like she was now as she faced the stove and refused to look at me.

"Nancy! Who!" I felt like a teenage girl dying to know what her crush had said about her.

"It was George! He called me the night after you came home telling me Adam was a mess and felt like shit for what he said to you. He said Adam wanted to make it right but knew you needed space cause you probably hated him." Just hearing it made me shake my head.

"I could never hate him. Angry? Sure but never actually hate him. If I did it'd be a lot easier." I confessed, again feeling pathetic.

"That's what I told George. He said they'd all been trying to get through to him but he wasn't listening. Then the night they left for tour it was as if he hadn't been torn up at all." She continued to spill the beans, completely forgetting about the food at this point.

"He's good at putting up a wall." I said having seen it first hand. It was fascinating yet terrifying.

"I'll talk to George, we'll plan this out. Surprise him or something I don't know but you need to go out there. Sort this out. My god just kiss and make up!" She was right. We needed to make this right cause it was clear us taking a break didn't do anyone any good. 

A/N: I'm going to stretch this out even more and do a part three. Don't hate me. xx