Out of The Woods

It was the middle of the night, yet the whole bus was wide awake as we drove to the next city. The buzz after shows took a while to come down from. We were all in the lounge area in the front of the bus just hanging out. Adam and John seated on the floor, controllers in hand as they played a video game. George smoking a joint contently beside me. Matty having a sudden moment of clarity was nose deep into his laptop, taking a hit whenever George passed him the joint.

"Want some?" George offered, exhaling the smoke from his mouth.

"I'm good, G." I politely declined as my body tensed. What had been bothering me all day coming to the surface again. Trying to push the thoughts away I paid attention to the conversation.

"Did you see that little girl on her dads shoulders tonight?" John asked, not looking away from the television.

"Aw, yea. Bless her she was having the time of her life up there." Matty responded, he too not looking away from what he was working on.

"She looked really young." Adam threw in, and for some reason it rubbed me the wrong way.

"What's wrong with that?" I asked, his comment bothering me more than it should have.

"I didn't say anything was wrong about it just that she looked young." He glanced over her shoulder at me, before looking back at the game.

"So what? Maybe her parents are avid concert goers and want to instill that in her. I mean wouldn't you?" I defended this child and her parents whom I didn't even know.

"Of course but even parents should know limits. That's what babysitters are for." Again, he didn't look at me. I just let out a humorless laugh, and shook my head.

"You're pissing her off, mate." George spoke, his voice off as he held in the hit he just took.

"Why are you giving me such a hard time about this?" Adam asked, putting his controller down and looking up at me from the floor. His tone showcasing just how taken back he was by my sudden annoyance.

"I just didn't think you were like that." I mumbled, crossing my arms. An awkward tension filling the bus.

"Like what? All I said was I think parents should-" he tried to defend his opinion.

"Forget it. Okay?" I got up, heading to my bunk just needing to be alone. Climbing into my bunk I got comfortable before resuming whatever movie I had paused earlier that day. Not even a full 20 minutes in, my curtain was pulled back.

"Hey." Adam's smooth voice spoke beside me.

"Move over, I'm coming in." With a sigh I moved over as best I could. The bunks were meant for one person although if you really tried you could squeeze two. Adam and I both being tiny framed we managed to pull it off. Once beside me, he closed my tv screen, wanting all my attention.

"What's going on?" He asked, knowing something was up. Fidgeting with my hands I avoided his gaze.

"Talk to me." His hand going on mine to stop my fidgeting.

"Nothing, I was just supposed to get my period today." I began to play with his hand instead. Noticing he still had the chipped black polish on.

"Okay." He said, not quite understanding the issue.

"I didn't." I looked at him, seeing him put two and two together. He tone calm as always despite the look of worry in his face.

"You don't think you're.." He trailed off, not wanting to say what we were both thinking.