Chapter one

Megan's POV

Cracking my eyes open, I winced and squeezed them back shut. My head was pounding, and my mouth tasted like cigarettes and vodka. Shifting, I felt an all too familiar weight against my side.

Sighing, I pushed against my best friend, Sloan, and sat up slowly from the bed.

I've been best friends with Sloan for about five years. She's one of my closest friends. And the only person that knows practically everything about me. And I, her. We talk about everything and anything.

Slugging down the hallway, I headed towards the bathroom. After rubbing some toothpaste on my teeth, and spraying some perfume on myself, I walked out to the kitchen to grab some cereal.

"You're up early."

I nearly jumped out of my skin as I looked over at Skye, Sloans sister. Looking at her now, I can see some similarities. They had the same wavy hair. The same high cheek bones, and button nose. I'd think Skye was hot if she weren't such a sarcastic asshole.

"Do you enjoy scaring the living hell out of people?"

She rolled her eyes and pulled a bottle of sunny-d out of the fridge, shrugging as she threw the cap down on the counter. "I would, if it weren't so easy to startle you."

"It is NOT easy to startle me. I jut didn't expect for you to pop out of nowhere at seven in the morning."

"This is my house."

"Technically, its your parents house."

She seemingly cringed at the mention of her parents. Then without a word, she just up and left. Walking to her room, slamming her door in the process.

I don't know why Skye was like this. I just didn't understand it. Her and her sister were practically almost identical. But Sloan, she was a wild character. Hell, even I could barely keep up with her. By the time I was done with my first shot, she was already on her fourth. She was a machine.

But Skye? In all honesty, I have no idea what to say about her. There are times where she's chill, and even playful. As sarcastic as she may be, she's cool. And other times, I don't know. She just, gets this look in her eyes. Like she's disconnected herself from the world. Kinda like she locks herself in her head.

In all the years I've been friends with Sloan, I've spent a lot of time here. Its like my second home. So, obviously I notice things. Like how on weekdays, Sloans parents alternate days where they cook breakfast for each other. Or how Sloan prefers to shower at nights, where as Skye likes to wake up super early in the mornings.

As well as the fact that Sloan likes a full breakfast, sitting alongside her parents. Where with Skye, she just grabs an apple and a sunny-d, and locks herself away until its time to leave in the morning.

Sitting here, messing with my lucky charms, I allowed my mind to wonder to last night. Sloan and I thought that since it was a Friday night, of was a good idea to go out to a bar.

"Let's get fucking wasted!" As she had put it.

The past week was literally hell. The first week back after summer. With all the boys oggling over Sloan and I. And All the other girls gossiping over how much we had changed. Honestly, the only reason why I go out with the guys at our school, is so that Sloan won't have to do all the heavy lifting.

Well, you know. With her being the head cheerleader, and what not. I'm not a cheerleader. I'm involved with a lot of clubs, but the only real reason why I'm popular is because of my friendship with her.

"I am never drinking again!" I heard Sloan yell from her room.

Silently laughing to myself, I looked towards her room as I watched her walk slowly towards the island. As she slumped down in the seat next to me, I stood and went to grab her a glass of water. Handing it to her, I suddenly got curious.

"Why is Skye in the same grade as us, if you're not twins?" In all the years we have been friends, it amazed me I never asked this before.

" 'Cause she got held back her eighth grade year." She mumbled.

Hmm. Well I guess that explains a lot. I figured it was because they were born not so far apart to where Skye was a year older. I usually always over think things, so its normal for me to be dead wrong about something. Hell, even someone.

'Like Evan.'

I sighed, closing my eyes, willing the images of him out of my head.

"Good morning girls!" Sloans mother called as she came into the kitchen.

"Good morning Mrs.Peterson." I answered.

"Oh, please dear!" She said patting my back. "You're here enough, call me Erica."

"Ok, will do." I said cheekily. Erica always made me feel like a daughter. Which is a lot more than I can say about my own mother. My family is a sore subject I guess.

"So, how are my girls this morning?"

"Good, haven't seen Skye yet though."

"She didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"She's driving up to the cabin today."

Sloan literally squealed beside me, jumping up and down slightly in her seat. The Peterson family were well off, and had this amazingly beautiful cabin in the woods up in Houston. Only about two hours from where we lived.

"We should totally go with her!" Sloan yelled in excitement beside me.

"I don't know. Would she even be ok with that?"

"Totally!"

"Um, ok."

She shook her head, and ran back up to her room. Probably to pack a bag of clothes. Feeling conflicted, I stood and headed upstairs and joined Sloan in packing a bag. Hopefully Skye wouldn't mind. I mean, who knows, maybe she was going to use this day for herself. You know? Like, a mental health day. Maybe she would get irritated with is tagging along. Invading her space a d personal time. I've only seen Skye angry on rare occasions, so I don't really know what to expect if she gets upset.

"Hey, you ok there megan?" Sloans voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah. I was just thinking how Skye was gonna react to us going with us to the cabin."

Shrugging, she went and stood in her doorway. "Skye!" She called out.

A few seconds later, Skye was standing in front of Sloan, arms crossed. "What?"

"We're coming with you today."

She just rolled her eyes turning to leave. Not before she said, "you better hurry the hell up. I'm leaving in five minutes."

And with that, she walked away.

This should make for an interesting Saturday.