Chapter Six

The rest of the day passed in a blur. Sitting in my classes, listening as Sloan complained about all the work we had to do. Then ultimately shutting up and doing it. She could tell my mind was elsewhere, but she just continued like she always did.

It was funny really. She would always know when something was up with me, but she knew I didn't like to dig into personal issues while at school, so she leaves it for when we're alone. God knows she'll remember it.

The only slightly interesting thing that happened today, was when we were sitting together at lunch. When Lillia, and all the other cheer girls started in on some guy. Apparently, he was talking a whole bunch of smack about how he hooked up with her at a party. So, it was quite exciting and amusing to see Sloan practically castrate him.

But, as amused as I was by that, I now found myself, once again, sitting awkwardly with Skye. Sloan just so happened to forget to mention she had a cheer meeting that was going to run late, and was planning on getting a ride with Lillia.

Apparently, Skye needed to go drop something off on the other side of town. Leaving me alone with her for about an hour.

Which isn't weird. Just extremely awkward. I wanted to ask her about what happened today. Why she said what she did. What she meant by it.

"If you have something you want to say, say it. Its quite uncomfortable watching you open and close your mouth like a blubbering fish."

Now I felt insulted. I was usually quite lenient. I am typically a nice person. But really, I do have my limits. I don't know why she was the way she was, but I intend to find out.

"I don't know what the hell your problem is, but I don't deserve to be treated like shit." I started ranting. Seemingly not being able to stop my mouth. "Now, I know I don't know you, and we don't really talk very much, but I have been nothing but nice to you. All I've wanted to do, was try and get to know you. Make nice with you or whatever. Considering the fact that I'm best friends with your sister. But, god, I just don't understand you. Are you really so damaged, so fucked up, you can't at least have one decent conversation with someone? Do you always have to be such an ass? Why, I just don't understand, why do you always push people away? Why do you feel the need to shut everyone out? You know what, I'm a damn good person. I'd make a fucking amazing friend. And if you don't believe me, fucking ask your sister. But, don't you dare treat me like that. You know nothing about me. Or my life. Or who I care about. Or, hell, what I care about. So don't you dare sit there and treat me the way you do everyone else. Because I'm not like everyone else. And you'd know that, if you'd just stop being such an ass, and let someone in."

I was panting a bit by the time I was done with my rant. I could tell Skye was a bit taken by surprise by my rant, because she was sitting there with her mouth a bit ajar. I was surprised myself. I hadn't expected to say all that. I could tell it had upset her at first, 'cause she had a death grip on the steering wheel.

She relaxed a bit, and sighed. Shaking her head. "I'm sorry." She muttered.

"Me too." I said. I couldn't bring myself to look at her after that, so I just focused on looking very intently out of the window. Watching the few cars pass by. And admiring the large farmlands we passed. Looking at all the animals.

About twenty minutes later, we pulled up to a worn down looking building. There was a group of guys standing out front of the building, laughing and pushing each other around. Skye put her car in park, and turned off the engine, hopping out in one swift movement. Following suit, I walked closely behind her. Kind of scared to stray too far away from her.
"Skye! Always a pleasure to see you! And who is this precious jem?" The oldest one asked. His greyed hair, and stubbly beard reminded me somewhat of my grandpa. He was always a wild character.