Chapter 42

Sloan's POV 

Can you asnwer me one question? Why is it, that the heart is so plaugued with emotions, that it continually fights against the brain? When the brain is the much more logical route, only trying to do what it knows won't cause unnecessary pain? 

Why is it that people continuously find themselves in predicaments such as mine? In love with someone they can't have, but with another they believe to be the better option? The one that realistically, you know will cause less pain for you. But not the one that your heart truly craves. The one that's always just out of your reach. Just barely escaping your grasp. 

Why are people like those? Some say it's because emotions control the body. Even when you know it's bad. Others say it's just you over analyzing things. Making it seem like there's something wrong with how you feel, so it makes you settle. Settle for something that's not what you actually want. Not what you truly crave. It's a complicated concept to understand. 

It's what keeps me up late at nights nowadays. I think about how much happier if I were who I truly wanted to be. I look at my sister, and see just how happy she is with Megan. How she has no fears or doubts of being with her. I wish I could be like that. Truly not caring what people think. I put up a facade to other people, but privately, I'm always worried what others will think of me. Especially my squad. I've been with those girls through a lot of things. I'm not as close to them as I am with Megan, but still, we're close. 

Their opinions mean the world to me. Which also scares me at the same time, because I'm the captain, and I shouldn't be concerned about their opinions of me. Or at least that's what I've been taught. 

Looking at my phone, I scroll through the texts I have with Chase. I truly did love him at first. I loved everything there was to him, but now, it's different. Now, my heart is with someone who I know I can't have. Or, really, I can have, but am too afraid to accept. No, actually, it belongs to someone I'm scared to have. 

I've always been this type of girl. Popular. Cheerleading captain. I've always dated the hottest guys, and been friends with the hottest girls. I've never found myself in a situation at all like this. It's not something I'm completely familiar with. It's not something I'm specialized in. 

She says that it's normal to be scared of the way you're feeling. It's even normal to try and run away. To deny it. That everyone has one person in their life that just clicks. They're meant to come in your life, and they're meant to leave a mark. For good, or for bad. It's only happen chance for you to meet them. 

It's hard. But it's worth it in the end. 

So, answer me this. If I know what I should do, and have every single reason that screams at me to do it.....why can't I?