Chapter Seventeen

"Hurry the hell up!" I hollered up the stairs. Impatient with how long Megan and Sloan were taking. I don't get why they needed a ride from me, Sloan was perfectly able to drive her own car.

As they bounded down the stairs, I tore my eyes away from Megan's direction. Last night I made a decision. Deciding to do what I should've done in the first place. Shut her out. She deserves to be able to move on. Not to be drug back into my painful past. It hurts, but its what's best for her.

"Geez, someone's grumpy this morning." I rolled my eyes. Glancing over at Megan, I turned before she could look back.

Heading to my car, I unlocked the doors. Sighing as I watched Megan hop in the front seat. She doesn't make this at all any easier.

"So what's on the agenda for after school today big sis?" Sloan asked from the back. I glanced at her in the rear view mirror, shrugging before I turned out of our neighborhood.

"Work." I finally answered. I could feel eyes from beside me, but I ignored it. Or at least the best I could. She was just very insistent. Stealing a glance over at her, I turned down the road that led to the school.

"I'll see y'all later." I said, bounding out of the car. I could Megan was worried, but this was for the best. I needed to rid myself of these feelings. If you could even call them that.

Its gonna be hard as hell. But it needs to be done.

******

Escaping first without being bombarded with question by Megan was short of a miracle. It was hard enough to keep my eyes away from her. It would be even harder to ignore the angelic sound of her voice.

Heading to second, my mind was racing with ways I could make this easier. I could make her hate me. But that seems like it would just crush me entirely. So maybe not. Maybe, if I got a girlfriend, then she would get the hint. What hint was there to be got? I'm not sure. But at least I could pass off ignoring her as spending time with my girlfriend.

Walking into class, I saw the perfect target. Bailey. We've already hooked up multiple Tims, so it would be easy to convince people we were a thing.

"Bailey." I greeted, taking the seat next to her. She looked at me, smiling seductively.

"Well, we're at school, but I guess it could work."

I cupped her cheek, nodding my head slowly. "No, I don't want sex. Not right now." She looked hurt at first, so I clarified. "What I want, is for you to be my girlfriend." I said confidently.

Her laughter illuminating the room shook my ego, but I brushed it off. "Skye, the only thing you're ever interested in is sex." She said, after she calmed down.

"That's not true. Sometimes I just want you for food." I joked. Bailey always seemed to have food. Which was a blessing on the days I skipped breakfast.

"Well, I guess having you around for your car is an added bonus. So, I suppose we're even." She joked back.

"See? We're the perfect pair."

"So you're serious?"

"When am I not?"

"Well, ok."

Smirking, I turned my attention back to the front. Not even noticing that the teacher had already started the lesson.

Now, it will be easy. Or so I hope. I know its messed up using Bailey as some sort of cover up, but it needed to be done. Megan didn't deserve whatever baggage I have. She deserves much better.

********

"Woah, there's no way." Sloan implied incredulously. While driving home, I subtly hinted towards the subject of girlfriends. Setting myself up to tell her. And when I finally got the courage to tell her, she didn't really believe me. So she's been ranting on and on about how this can't be true for the past ten or so minutes.

Megan didn't show any real reaction. Mostly because she's been attached to her phone the whole time. I wanted to talk to her. Ask her how her day was. Say hello. Something. But I just couldn't muster up the strength. It was already draining enough to not speak to her.

"Its true Sloan. Move on." I said. Getting somewhat annoyed at her insistent rambling. Although my plan was somewhat working.

"So you're not a player anymore?" Sloan teased.

"I was never a player Sloan. I was just sexually active." I defended. It was true. Each girl that I hooked up with understood I wasn't emotionally available. And I might never be.

There was a slight chance with Megan, but that's no longer an option. I need to forget any idiotic fantasies I had about her and I. It wasn't going to happen. And I'm sure, if by some small miraculous miracle it does happen, I'd find a way to fuck it all up. Then she would really hate me. Maybe now, she'll hate me, but at least I'll know I did it for the right reason.

"Hellooooooo, Skyeeeee......" Slaon called, waving her hand in front of me. I nudged her back with my elbow, making her sit back in her seat. Glancing over at Megan, she was no longer looking at her phone. But rather at me. Daring me to give her something. A smirk. Shrug. An annoyed rolling of the eyes.

Instead, I turned my eyes back to the road. Trying damn near my hardest not to notice how upset and confused this was making her. She was probably over analyzing this. Blaming my sudden change of attitude on something she did or said. Which, I suppose is kind of true. After Sloan told me about that random guy she met while they were out, I realized something. I hate the control she has over me. Or was starting to have over me.

Its weird. I don't remember ever feeling like this. Even before everything happened.

Its a known fact that I'm probably handling this whole situation all wrong. If Tiff were here, she'd slap me for being such an idiot. Then she'd go on to rant and banter about how I should at least give Megan the benefit of the doubt.

Slumping my shoulders as I put my car into park, I leaned back as I watched Sloan and Megan exit my car. Megan being a bit slower, allowing me a chance to say something to her. But I just stayed silent. Finally having enough, she sighed, breaking the tense silence. "Skye, what's wrong?"

"Nothing." I answered curtly. Still looking straight ahead. I could tell she was annoyed, but I kept reminding myself that this was for the best.

"Oh, really? Because you haven't been able to look at me all day." I wanted to smile at her sassyness, but shrugged. Finally meeting her eyes. She didn't look annoyed, but rather perplexed. As if she were trying to solve a difficult puzzle.

"There. I looked at you. Now can you please get out of my car?" I didn't mean to sound harsh, but I was finding that the longer we stayed in my car, the harder it was not to talk to her.

"Skye-......."

"Megan, just get out." She actually flinched at the coldness that laced my voice. I hated doing this, but it had to be done. Its for her own good. She needed to realize that it would save her a lot of heartache if she didn't have me in her life. I'd just have to deal with it of she actually does end up hating me.

"Ok." She finally said dejectedly. Opening the door, and hopping out. I couldn't help but bang my head on the steering wheel as she went inside.

This really was going to be harder than I thought.