Chapter 18

"So, what do couples do? Aside from sex?" I asked, after Bailey jumped in the passenger side. She called early this morning for a ride, so I left before Sloan could invite herself to grill my girlfriend of as to why exactly she was my girlfriend. Also, I wanted a break from icing Megan out of my life.

"Well, they hold hands." She suggested. Sliding my hand in hers effortlessly, I couldn't help but smile. Holding hands with Bailey actually felt decent. Not as good as with Megan, but still. "And they go on dates."

"Dates?" I joked. Dates weren't entirely my thing. Only having been on a handful of them, doesn't make me the most experienced.

"Yeah," she said smiling. "Like, you know, go to the movies or set up a picnic and talk all night. A date."

"I know what a date is Bailey." Laughing, she shook her head. As if the thought of me even remotely knowing what to do on a dare was ludicrous. "I actually have been on a few dates in my lifetime." I explained. She just smiled, kissing my cheek, before turning up the radio.

I've always liked hooking up with Bailey. Not just because she was great in bed, but because we actually had things in common. She liked to draw. We listened to mostly the same music. Plus, she was funny. As well as smart. Her beauty was just an added bonus.

Although we've never really talked. Like, really talk. Which is understandable, because I know it wasn't likely I would let her in. Not like I have Megan.

I mentally scolded myself. Megan has practically consumed my thoughts the past few days. I need something else to occupy myself with.

Pulling over to a curb in the road, I brought Baileys face to mine before sh could interject.

Kissing her wiped out any resident thoughts of Megan. Her lips were so soft. And she tasted like strawberries.

Pulling away slowly, Bailey gently took my bottom lip in between her teeth. Eliciting a low growl from the back of my throat.

"We should get going." She said lowly, looking at me lustfully. "We're gonna be late."

"You're right." Planting one last small peck on her lips, I started down the road again.

I enjoyed the feeling of being with Bailey.

Maybe this will work. As long as I keep my distance from Megan. Everything will be fine.

Or so I hoped.

********

Walking into first period, I kept my head down. Only allowing myself to look up once I've reached my seat.

Big mistake.

In front of me, in all her glory, stood Megan. Looking down at me with worry filled eyes. I know my giving her the cold shoulder was probably driving her insane. Causing her to rake her mind with every possible reason of as to why I was acting this way.

"Skye, seriously, what's wrong?" Her voice was laced with so much concern, I found it hard to respond. I only wanted to hold her. But I just couldn't.

Before I could muster up a response, douche bag Evan walked in. Standing too close to her for my comfort. "Well, hello there." He said cockily. "You finally want to talk to me?"

I could see her shift a bit, glancing at me once before turning and stalking away.

"Man, I swear, you take a girl to one party, someone says something offensive, and she gets her panties up in a bunch." Evans voice, and existence overall just annoyed him. Glaring at him, I turned back to my sketchbook.

Guys like him, who think they get away with anything. Just because they'd popular, or well liked. I hate guys like him. I've had one too many experiences with guys like him.

Bouncing my leg vigorously I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed my things and walked out.

Ignoring the looks and calls o got from the teacher. I didn't stop until I reached my car. Slamming my hands done over and over. Cursing myself. The memories of Uncle Rob and I flooding back into my brain.

Kicking my tires, I leaned myself against the cars cool medal. Not paying any mind to the footsteps approaching from behind me. Not until a small slender hand, touched my shoulder. I didn't have to turn to know it was Megan.

Had she followed me? Had she seen my little burst of anger? And even though I've been a total her to her, she was still worried about me. Suddenly I felt ashamed of myself. Putting her through unnecessary hell because I couldn't face my own insecurities of how I felt about her.

"Megan......" I whispered. I couldn't bring myself to look into her eyes, as she now stood right beside me. "Its so hard."

"What is?" She asked softly. God, her voice was enough to drive me insane. It was literally killing me to ignore her. To act like I didn't care. I had to keep telling myself this was for the best. Otherwise I would give in to temptation.

"Keeping it in." I confessed. "Not letting anyone in. Bottling it all up." Shifting, I rocked back and forth on my heels. Trying to control my anger. I don't know exactly why I was so mad, but I know it had something to do with what Evan said. Trying to blame what happened to Megan on her. Rather than taking responsibility.

"Skye, you may think letting someone in, is hard, but I promise you, once it happens, its not as scary." Rolling my shoulders, I relaxed a bit at her words. Letting them floe through my head to drone out any thoughts from the past.

"Its not the same for me." Pounding my hands on the car once more, I turned and leaned my back against it. Crossing my arms, I finally allowed myself to look her in the eyes. Once again finding myself inwardly swooning at the sight.

"And why is that?"

"Because, it just is." I said coldly.

"Why are you being like this?" Her voice was just as cold as mine. I knew this was hard for her. Being iced out by someone and not knowing why.

"I'm not being like anything." My voice low and full of malice. Not for her, but rather I was furious at myself.

"Skye."

"Megan."

Sighing, she leaned against the car beside me. Looking out into the half empty parking lot. It was barely even first period. It was likely that most of the seniors don't even have a first period.

"I don't get you." She whispered. I figured she would go on, so I stayed silent. "One minute, you're amazing. Such a caring person. The next, you're all dark and broody."

"Megan, you need to realize I'm not the person you think I am." I'm not a good person. At all. It hurt even more knowing that she thought I was. "The sooner you realize that, the better of you'll be."

With that I left her. It was a shitty thing to do, but I needed to do it. No matter how much I hated it. No matter how much it tore me up inside to hurt her like this. I cared about her. And I distance the people I care about from me.

I've hurt too many people before. I'd rather hurt her this way knowing I was doing it to protect her, than doing it and knowing I did it for no good reason. Aside from the fact that I was fucked up.