Chapter Ten

Skye's POV

"Just breathe, I'll be right outside if yo need me." I assured Megan once again, as we approached her father's room.

Now, normally, I wouldn't give a damn about someone's personal life or issues, but Megan's different. At first I thought she was just like every other girl in this town. Attention seeking drama starting freaks. But she was different. She seemed genuine.

"What if he's awake? What if he's pissed that I haven't been in to zee him sooner?" Megan started listing off different possibilities of when she walked into that room.

Stopping her just outside the door of room 1309, I stared into her warm hazel eyes. "I think it'll be much worse for you if he dies in here, and you didn't at least come and see him."

Her shoulders sagged as she looked anywhere but at me, until she said, "will you go in with me?"

"Do you want me to?" I asked. Megan looks around, then back at me, nodding her head slightly. We turned the corner and walked into the room. There was a doctor standing over the curly red headed man, checking his reflexes and such.

"Hello, are you visiting?" The doctor asked. He seemed ok. With his nice face, and receding hairline. Which was to be expected. The dudes like eighty or something.

Was that rude? I feel like that's rude. I should really start working on not being such an ass. As well as talking about 'feelings.' 'Cause Megan and I had a deal. One thing I never go back on. Except for once. That doesn't matter right now. The important thing is Megan and her father.

"I'm his daughter." Megan explained. I watched as the doctors features sympathized for her, before he explained her father's circumstances.

"Your father was rushed into our ER a few nights ago. Where he was admitted for a foreign object lacerating his chest. I rushed him up to the OR, then proceeded to taking the object out. During surgery your father suffered an air embela in his chest. We were able to take it out, but your father's brain went without oxygen for quite some time." As he was talking, I felt Megan slump into my side and bury her into my shoulder. I could tell she wanted more information but was too unstable to form words.

I wrapped my hand around hers as I asked, "what does this mean?"

"It means, we can't be entirely sure if he's going to wake up. And I think you should prepare yourself for the worst." He said, looking at us, he gave a sad smile before walking out.

Megan's sobbed became soft and silent as she walked slowly over to her dad. Not wanting to be intrusive or anything I stayed by the door. "I just want to hear your laugh one more time." Megan pleaded. "I know I always said it was annoying, but I loved the sound of it. It was contagious, and I couldn't help but smile when I was with you. I'll always be your girl dad. Always."

It was silent for some time after that. Then only sounds were the steady beep of the heart monitor. I didn't want to disturb Megan, she needed this time with her father, so I just stood there. Watching. I hated to admit it, but Megan reminding me of myself. I used to be an optimist, but now? I'm nothing. Empty. Just a shallow shell.

I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

On the other hand, Megan's different. She makes me feel. Mostly it just anger, but its different. Theres something else there whenever I look at her. Or even when I'm just around her. I didn't trust it at first, so I brought some girl home, hoping that a meaningless night of sex would make it go away. But all I've got now is an annoying straight girl stalker. Maybe next time I shouldn't bring someone from school home.

I did feel bad knowing Megan saw us. Even worse when our eyes met, before she closed the door, they were filled with disappointment. That kind of crushed me. I don't know why, I'm not even friends with her. Hell, I'm not even sire I like her that much. Maybe I just feel this way because I want her. Like, maybe the tension I'm feeling is just sexual.