Chapter 68

Maybe skimp thru the previous chapter :/ ?

Miya

It's times like this I wish Starbucks delivered.

It's four in the morning and I haven't slept, at all. I paced around my room with my laptop in my hands and whispered my valedictorian speech. I finally finished it. I forced myself to finish it, since I'm always up doing nothing. For the past late nights to early mornings I've been working extra hard and reciting it over and over.

I'm so anxious for the speech. Well not as much in a good way. I've been shaky and really scared. I'm thinking of the littlest things, like what if I stumble over my words, would people laugh if I say something wrong? I'm not really good at public speaking.

I place my laptop down on my bed and walk over to my prom dress, next to my closet. I walk around it and analyze every detail. For some reason I don't want to go to prom anymore. Literally the only thing motivating me is this dress. Honestly I can't wait to get everything over with and go off to New York.

I'm ready for change, as so change was already ready for me.

"Good morning." I walk into the kitchen, greeted by my dad and the smell of coffee brewing.

"How'd you sleep?" He asks, pouring the black liquid into his mug.

Simple, I didn't sleep. "Fine, I guess." I mumble. I sit down on the chair, placed for the island, as dad took a seat across from me.

He half smiles, and exhales. "So, prom? Graduation? You're exited or too fast?"

"Not fast enough." I grumble, feeling a little cranky.

"Aw, really? I bet you're excited to tell that speech, huh?" He takes a sip of his coffee.

I fake a laugh, and slip off of the chair. I shuffle my feet towards the refrigerator and open it. I hear my dad clear his throat but I don't pay him any mind as I peek around to look for something to eat.

"So..." He paused. "You never told me what happened between you and Chris." He says, and my heart leaps at the name.

"I told you..." I sigh and close the double doors. I roam my feet elsewhere. "We broke up." I pray he drops the topic, because my heart is pounding rapidly just thinking about him. "We just thought it be better y'know... I just needed space." And I don't want to have to explain myself right now. It's stupid, and I don't want him to hear my stupid explanation.

"That can't be just it, I know you." He says, a little aggravated. "You were so caught up with that boy and his life, you forgot about everything for a moment."

His words make me look at him. And he looks at me as if he knows everything. As if he's reading my mind.

"Well it is... Just that, and I don't want to talk about it." I said.

"Is it because he cheated on you?" He asked, rhetorically. I look down at my feet, and my nerves start firing up. "I overheard you and Tracy talking about it yesterday, I heard everything about how he showed up at the mall and apologized to you." I look up at him, as he shakes his head. "Why didn't you tell me? You tell me everything."