Chapter 1

Chapter 1

                Fyfa had been in the main hall as the ruckus outside had been heard. She had taken her tattered cloak and stood outside just behind Aislinn, and watched in awe and a little apprehension as Cam and Hamish went at each other in the snow. Both their chests bare, she had to catch her breath at the muscle visible on Hamish. He had been nipping at her heals for over a year now, everywhere she turned he was there. And until this moment, that had been annoying, now she knew she had to stay as far away from him as possible.

                He had the capability to seriously hurt her, and she could not survive that and what else her life had thrown at her so far. Her grandmother had been her rock for so long, but she knew that she was behind Hamish’s sudden interest in her. He could not see the truth of her life. She did not want or need his pity, and her grandmother needed more help than she did, so he would be better of helping her.

                The glacial temperatures cut through to her very bone. Her worn clothes were no real protection but at least they looked the part. In the most part anyway. She was still one of the poorest members of a flourishing clan, and with her father as he was, it was unlikely she would find a husband anytime soon. It was time, she thought that she started making plans of her own.

The men’s cheers rent the air. As Cam threw Hamish to the ground through a cloud of white. Standing as she was near Aislinn she saw as the new lady of the MacKay’s, stood hands on hips shaking her head. “Remind me again, Isla. That this is the man who managed to set up two new trade routes this year. As well as becoming a father and is seen as one of the best Lairds this clan has seen.” She turned to face the woman who face was, as always, displaying the scowl that showed her disapproval. “Because, I am sorry, but right now I am failing to see it.” At that point Cam threw both arms in the air in a sign of victory, only to be tackled from behind, Hamish’s arms coming around Cam’s middle as they both landed face first in a snow drift.

Her heart stuttered slightly as the sight. Only to see both men laughing as they pulled each other back into standing positions, before they were once again attacking each other. It was Isla who replied. “Go inside Aislinn, I’ll deal with these two.” Then Isla turned her to Aislinn, and that disapproval, Fyfa saw was hinted with concern, “You need to get out of this cold in your condition. And that man needs some sense knocking into him. Right now you are too fragile to do that.”

As Edine pulled Aislinn into the comfort and warmth of the hall, Fyfa saw Aislinn’s hand flutter to the barely visible bump. It was that that proved Cam to have the prowess he had boasted off, much to Aislinn’s despair, when he announced she was once again with child.

Watching for minutes more, before unsurprisingly Isla stopped the two men. And gave them both a tongue lashing that even Fyfa cringed. She was the only person in the clan who could treat the Laird as a five year old misbehaving bairn. She would have smiled, but that could have meant people would notice she was stood there among them. And she had found, if she kept her expression blank, stayed quiet and unassuming, most people ignored her. Most actually did not see her at all anymore.

As most went inside, she took one last look back at the mountain of a man that was Hamish. She needed to make that plan soon. Going with the stream of people, she heading into the hall and over to one of the many tables groaning under the weight of all the food upon it. She was practically salivating at the sight. She did not think she had seen this much food all year, yet alone in one place at the same time. But she had to admit there had been those random times over the year when food had appeared on her door step. Even a few rabbits every now and then. She knew it only encouraged him. But that was the one thing she had not been able to turn away.

Taking the little cloth sack she had brought just for this purpose. She started placing bits off of each platter into the sack. Trying to be unassuming. Taking little nibbles here and there so no one became suspicious. When the bag was full, she knew it would never be enough to last as long as she needed it too. But it was better than the empty cottage she had at the moment.

Making note of where everyone was within the hall, she saw the picture of the perfect loving family with Camdyn, Aislinn and little Catriona. Saw the woman who made her life a living hell for so many years, Larena, was over by the door. Her escape cut off, that way anyhow.

Instead she made her way through the kitchens. No one bothering her as she did not bother them, and made her way back into the bracing cold, and the wind that seemed to have picked up in the time she had spent inside. Making sure she was not followed, she made her way out and around the Keep and through the gate heading to the village. If she was not noticed she could make it back later and pick up some more food, it may just be enough then.

Just…maybe.