Chapter 11

Merry Christmas (to all those who celebrate it!)

Chapter 11

“No! Absolutely. Not.” Hamish was beside himself. He could not do what they proposed. They could be proposing what he truly thought they were? They knew why he could not do this? It was not an issue of him not wanting to do so, he could not allow himself to follow that path. Shaking his head horrified at his supposed friends ‘cunning plan’. The twins had joined them only minutes into his discussion, deeming their conversation too ‘important looking’ for them not to be a part of.

Cam reached for him, “Hamish…” He pulled away, almost knocking over the pitcher of mead upon the table top. “No Cam. You know why I cannot.” He felt, bizarrely wounded at their lack of thought. “You cannot ask me to forget my oath so easily.” Cam caught hold of his arm, making sure they had eye contact as he leaned forward. Hamish flashed a glance at the twins, who had leaned back on the opposite side of the table, allowing Cam to take this fight.

“Hamish, I know of your oath. But are you really willing for an innocent to be treated the way she is. To carry on with the pain and starvation that you could so easily stop.” It must have been obvious he was about to repudiate them once more, as Cam hurried on, trying to convince him. “The least you could do is to think about it, and talk it through with Fyfa. She has to have a choice in this.”

Hamish sat back a moment. He wanted Fyfa out of her situation. But was there really no other option but marriage. Surly Cam could have given some provision or placed her into service at the Keep. But all three had come up with ‘the only solution’, and he really was finding it difficult to argue with them over this topic. Was his oath really worth her life? That was the real question he had to ask himself. Rather than dismissing it out of turn. They were right. He did need to think on this.

Following the twins actions, he leaned back against the high backed chair he sat upon. Dragging his hand down his face. He could not believe he was contemplating this. And yet the more they spoke, the more sense it made. Sighing deeply, he stared once more at the vaulted ceiling above. “I will think on it Cam, but is there really nothing else you can think of?” He rolled his head in his friend’s direction. Staring intently, hoping. Just hoping. For another outcome.

Watching all three of his friends met his stare, and shook their heads forlornly. Aonghus leaned forwards, “We will think on it Hamish. But you only have until you pick her up from Nessia. For if you do not have a plan by then, it may already be too late. If she goes back to that cottage either her father will get her, or the cottage and winter will. We do not want that Hamish, and you are the only one who has managed to gain her trust so far. You are the only one capable of doing this.” Artair just nodded his agreement as Cam looked on solemnly. He knew it would never be an easy answer, but could he really do this?

“I will think on it.” With that he stood, waving the others back down, and head around the top table with long strides heading out into the wintry day that had been shut out. Taking a deep lungful of the crisp air, the cold searing into his bones as the wind picked up. The perfect weather for thinking, because you had to do it quickly so as not to freeze to death. He headed towards one of the cleared paths used by the sentries. Knowing that the route was long enough for him to think, but he would be back in the warmth soon enough.

Cam watched as his friend walked out of the main hall. He was glad to have him back. He had truly shown signs of the old Hamish during their conversation. It was the reaction to the plan they had come up with that may send him back over the edge. And he did not want that. Sighing, he turned his gaze back onto the twins. Who were, like him, watching Hamish leave the warm cavern of the main hall.

Artair was the one to break their silence. “I did not think he would react like that. I never realised it took such a toll on him. I thought that oath was just a drunken rambling, I never took it seriously.” Cam shook his head. “I didn’t either at the time, but I noticed how he changed afterwards. It made me think how serious he had taken it. Mind, I was impressed that he had even remembered the oath with how far into his cups he had been.” He reached for the pitcher and refilled their goblets once more.

Aonghus look weary. “I know what we decided a few months ago. But would it not just be an easier solution for you to find a place for Fyfa in the Keep, Cam?” Cam knew the twins hated to see Hamish so, it was his strength they had looked up to, while they looked to him for his battle plans. Not that Hamish was not intelligent, he just took a step back in the plans in favour of blunt force. He could have offered her a place in the kitchens, or in the main household staff. But that would leave Hamish alone once more. And he was determined to end his friend’s life of solitude. If this was what it took, then so be it.

“I do not think that would be the best for everyone. Even if I did offer her a place, she would not have to live here, and could choose to stay with her father. If that was the case, it would negate everything we are trying to aim for.” Taking a long sip from his goblet. He pointed it at the twins. “You have spent time with her, do you think she will go for the idea?” he felt incredibly guilty over the fat he had not recognised the suffering of one of his people.

“She is stubborn.” Aonghus began, before he turned and the twins grinned at each other, Artair finished. “Just as stubborn as Hamish. I think if he decides this course of action, then he is the only one who will be able to convince her of it.” The smiles he saw told him all. Hamish never stopped when he wanted something, let nothing distract, just charged straight for it.

Cam knew he should have moved and seen to a few of the issues that had cropped up over the last few weeks. Yet he could not bring himself to leave before knowing what Hamish’s answer was. He had made a promise to be there for his brother in arms, and was going to make sure that he kept that promise. It also helped that it meant he could stay in the warmth of the main hall, drinking mead. It beat having to trudge through the snow piles, freezing his parts off, much better to help out a friend from the comfort of his own chair.

He watched warily when Artair left his place. And laughed heartily when he returned. The three of them leaning in, and started the game. Waiting for Hamish to return.

Hamish had found himself taking a detour from his original path. Circling around the village and heading towards the cottage that had changed his life over the last year. Well rather the woman who lived within it. He had not known what he was agreeing to when he had first accepted his role to look out for Fyfa. But he could not say he regretted his choice. He had tried to give her a better life. But could she ever truly have the life he had tried to help her achieve unless she left the cottage before him. It was falling to pieces before him. Just as his life had been. And yet he could see this as a turning point. He was trying to put his life back together again. While this cottage was done for, he could path up the life that had lived within its rather unprotective walls.

The snow falling in faster flurries as the wind slanted it towards him as he made his way back through the village. Pausing once more before Nessia’s. Noticing the glowing light seeping from the edges of the shutters, knowing she was in there, however reluctantly. At that very moment she was safe. Could he really be the reason that she went back to that hovel? Could he live with himself if anything happened to her when he had a chance to save her? Taking a deep breath once more, the snowflakes trying to make their way into the back of his cloak. He feared his decision had been made.

Cam looked up as the doors flew open once more. Snow flying in all directions, melting as it settle upon the floor. He leaned back from the game to watch him approach. The twins were arguing as it was, and he needed the distraction. Keeping his eyes upon him until he sat heavily in the chair he had vacated hours before. They had kept his goblet full just for this occasion. Even the twins fell silent as they waited for him to take a deep, long, drink. Before he looked at each man in turn.

Hamish sat back. Knowing they really had no idea as to which decision he had made. Only looking at Cam he spoke. “I will go along with the plan. But she has to agree as well.”