Chapter 19

AN - Warning - they do have sex in this chapter, but it is not in detail and it is at the end of the chapter!

Chapter 19

“Make yourself at home. I…I will…just…set the fires to heat the place up. I will be back in a moment.” Fyfa watched silently as Hamish stuttered nervously through his sentence. And then headed off to his pile of logs to set a fire in the hearth to warm the chilly air.

Taking the chance to look around at the dark corners, she contemplated how darkness gave a different feeling to a place. She was sure in the light, and warmth of day, with a roaring fire, it would be a home. Or if they were sat before the fire with the darkness of night creeping in, it may even be comforting. But with the knowledge of what was to come, all she could feel was an impending doom. She knew it was all going to change this night. She was to give herself to Hamish in a way that was irreversible.

It was not that she was averse to Hamish. If she looked at him objectively he was a quietly handsome man. Tall and muscular, but was always gentle, trying to hide in the background that would never swallow him up due to his sheer size.

She gave herself a mental shake. She knew she needed to get through this night. Aislinn and Isla both said after the first time it got better, and they both knew Hamish would not hurt her intentionally. Relax. Relax they had said. But how could she when all she could think was that he was so large compared to her. How could they possibly fit as Isla and Aislinn had told her they would?

She was brought back to the present when Hamish cleared his throat. Realising she had not moved since Hamish had left her standing in the centre of the main room. She saw the shadows were fighting against the light from the glowing fire, and just behind Hamish through the open doorway she saw a second hearth full of flickering flames. Highlighting the edge of a large bed, only just visible through the doorway.

Finally bringing her focus back to the male before her. She saw he was just as uncomfortable with the situation as she was. And she could not stop the small laugh that escaped her. Her hand coming up quickly to cover her mouth. But before she knew it, she was bent over as peals of laughter left her feeling lighter than she had in years.

Hamish watched bemused as Fyfa braced herself, laughter filling the air of his cottage for the first time since his parents’ death. While there was a hint of hysteria, he could tell it came from the situation, and he found himself fighting the smile that was creeping across his face. However, it was a losing battle. And soon he found himself shocked with the sound of laughter leaving his own throat.

Fyfa paused, catching her breath, as she listened to Hamish’s laughter. She did not think she had ever heard him do so. Even as a child, she had seen him, Cam and the twins running around with the older children in the clan. But Hamish was always the quiet one. A small smile showing the same amusement as everyone else gaining stiches and gasping for breath from their laughter. Amazed at how young he looked as his amusement shone through. She realised just how much responsibility he put on his own shoulders, and did so for others. He really was a selfless male, and as nervous and uncomfortable as this situation was. She did not think she could have found a more suitable male to be in it with.