Chapter 48

AN - Hi, an extra long chapter for you all! It is all about to kick off! Hope you enjoy it! thanks so much for reading. Az x

Chapter 48

Movement felt good. The few steps around the room were wonderful, until the pain rippled through once more. She had to keep it secret, the plan was underway and she would not let this effect what was happening, after months of inactivity they could finally help. This was not going to stop that. She would make sure of it. The loud crash of the solid wooden door against the stone work had her turning quickly, just as another pain hit her solidly, her back cramping at the same time, leaving her unsure whether to curl forward or lean backward to relieve the pain.

Isla bustled in with an armful of linen. Tutting and shaking her head the entire time. Aislinn almost smiled at the affront the woman had taken with her decision. Only the strong pain kept her amusement buried deep within her. Isla quickly placed the linen on the small table before the hearth and hurried over to her, taking a hold of her arm and around her shoulder, leading her over to the high backed chair. Muttering the entire way about stubborn women and their silly ideas about what is right.

As the pain subsided Aislinn lowered herself into the chair and watched as Isla walked over to the small bucket of water she had ordered be brought up. Placing it before the roaring fire, the chill of the room only starting to be fought by the flames, as the hammering of the rain against the shutters fought against the popping and crackle of the wood within the hearth. “Isla, are you going to stay mad with me for the entirety of the time I am in labour? Or are you going to forgive me at some point?” She raised an eyebrow as the older woman turned her formidable glare upon her. The expression was known by the whole clan and instilled fear into most who saw it. Yet, Aislinn knew the heart of the woman she saw as a grandmother, and knew that she was concerned for her wellbeing, and that was the true incentive for the behaviour and attitude she held at that moment.

“I do not agree with you not telling Camdyn that your time has come. He has others that can complete his orders. His place is here.” Aislinn furrowed her brow as Isla paused in her little speech, true concern visible on the woman’s face before she continued. “Aislinn, you are very dear to me. I have seen you go through the labour of childbirth before, and know you are strong enough to withstand it. But this is a woman’s most dangerous time, I pray to God that he will not take you, but Camdyn needs to be here. Or at least have the choice to be here, do you not see. If God decides it is your time to enter through to his heavenly kingdom, how do you think Camdyn will react to that, knowing that he was not here to support you in the only way a male can at this time?”

Aislinn let the words wash through her mind, lingering a moment, as the meaning truly sank in and tears stung the backs of her eyes. As she was about to respond the pain overtook her once more, folding herself over as she panted slightly through the pain, she looked up as Isla gave her arm a companionable squeeze showing her that she was not alone in what was going to be a very trying and difficult time. The tears starting to drip free as the pain subsided once more. She reached up with her free hand to grip Isla’s tightly. “Isla, you have to understand, Camdyn sees Hamish as his own blood, the brother he was never granted, but instead the brother he has chosen. He has been so frustrated these last months, not being able to do anything to help. Not being able to appease, treaty or fight for the male who has been there for him so many times. This is finally his chance to help, in his brother’s time of need. I cannot be selfish here. Aye I wish him to be here, but I cannot allow my selfish desire to know Cam is in the confines of these walls as I go through utter agony, affect how the campaign, he is about lead, ends.” The fear of the next hours was clear to hear in her voice as she spoke. She knew the danger that lay ahead of her, had been through it before, and had attended births in the last two years where the mothers had not survived to see their bairn through their first night on earth.