Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It had been over a week since Hamish had managed to find the time to see Fyfa. He and the twins had spent hours trying to fix up her cottage. Only leaving as her father was coming around and he had seen how agitated she had become with the situation. Throwing glances, he could only describe as terrified, between her father and the men in her home. He had not wanted to make life with her father any more unbearable than it already was. And so had ushered the twins out, not that any had been happy to leave.

They may have solved some large problems, but it was nowhere near liveable, in his opinion anywhere. And since then he had been on night watch, or day watch, or training some of the younger warriors in the snow. Seeing just how far he could push them. And while he had had to stand watch, he had seen the twins seemingly flitting here and there. Until on the second day he saw them heading to Fyfa’s and his protectiveness nearly made him drop his guard. It was fine if he was there as well. But he did not like the idea of the twins seeing Fyfa now. Alone. When he could not leave and find them both.

Only for the next couple of days he watched. And to his utter relief, he saw that she stood up to them just as she had to him in those first days he had tried to help. Doors slamming in their faces, items she refused to take out of their grasp. He wondered just how long it would take them to figure out what it had taken him too long to see. She did not want to be seen as weak. In fact, she had taken it upon herself not to be seen at all. At the same time he also knew that she needed that help, even if she would not admit it.

That was why now, on the first day he had had in the last week to himself, he found the twins at his table in the main hall. Looking morose and in need of help. And he could not help but grin. Taking a sip of his ale, he put his elbows on the table, chin on his hands, and stared at them. It usually put people off. Or made them talk. In this case, he found two grown men, just staring sullenly back, as if they had become their five year old selves again.

“Problem?” He tried, he tried so hard, not to sound smug. But that one word ruined it all. He just couldn’t help himself. They had learned it the hard way, just how stubborn the female of the species could be. The glares he received made his grin spread wider. Oh, he had not managed to smile in a long time now. And he seemed to find amusement in every action and conversation between Fyfa and these twins. It was good to find that he had not lost himself completely over the last year.

The joint glares he received made him realise he had missed this. Had put too much distance between himself and his friends. “You know exactly what our problem is.” Artair started, for Aonghus to finish, “She speaks to you. Why does she allow your attentions and not ours?” Artair again. “We have made it clear that we are only trying to help and want nothing else. We thought that might be the problem.” Aonghus once more, “But it seems she is just as stubborn, with that will of iron as before.”

He shook his head, as he lowered one hand back to his mug of ale, taking another sip. He let them wait. He was known for his silent brooding. But in this instance, it was less about brooding, and more about letting them stew. For a couple of minutes at least. Taking a leisurely look around the main hall. Seeing the serving women tidying away after the morning meal. He had only finished his moment before the twins joined him, but his platter had been taken already. Knowing those women were still watched closely by Isla as Aislinn learnt the ropes from her.

Bringing his attention back to the twins, he knew his silence had made them uncomfortable. They worked much better with speech, and long winded statements. He was their opposite, in more ways than one, and yet, they were still two of a very small select group he would rely on. In any situation.

Taking pity upon them, he heaved a sigh, causing their expressions to change from sullen to serious. “It took me months to figure it out. You really think I’m going to give you help on something I had to bloody myself to find out?” He shook his head. Stretching his arms above his head, he then went to stand. Only for Artair to grab a wrist as he pushed himself up. Both of their eyes wide. The shared a glance before he spoke. “Hamish, what do you mean bloody?”

Looking pointedly at the hand on his wrist, until it was released. “I mean, it took her shutting the door so hard in my face, it gave me a nose bleed. Though did not quite break it. I think you should work it out for yourself.” Leaving them bemused and slightly shocked he left them behind. Glancing back over his shoulder as he reached the door, he saw that they were ‘consoling’ themselves with the serving women, one just happened to be sitting in Aonghus’ lap. Already. A chuckle slipped passed him.

He had a woman to show who was the most stubborn in this clan. And she may think she was winning. But he had been Isla approved as the clan’s most stubborn member, and he was seven summers at the time. That was a high accolade she had never changed her mind on. And let him know it at any opportunity.

Knowing her father was passed out currently in a cottage with three other males after a gaming session last night. Not that any of those males had coin to spare, but all had managed to drink themselves into a stupor. He had no respect for anyone who put themselves in that position when they had a family to take care of. Instead that family was forced to scrape together whatever she could to survive.

He had made some inquires recently. And for all the little jobs she did for people, mending, washing, he reasoned she should actually be able to gain a little more than what she had. Which could only mean her father had taken what little she could scrape together. And that was the last straw. There could be no forgiveness for the man now.

Stopping by his cottage firstly to pick up the bundle of firewood her had put together. He headed over to Fyfa’s. The village was already awake. He could hear mothers scolding their bairns already, smiled over the antics he could be hear they had been up to at this early hour. He returned the shouted hello’s with a simple nod. But that was all any expect of him, and so he did not have to stop for conversation on his way. Did not have to tell them where he was heading or why.

His mood was considerably better than what it had been a week ago. And he felt lighter through it. He really needed to speak with Cam at some point. Needed to let him know that he appreciated what he had done over the last year. Cam had been the constant friend even when he had tried his hardest not to notice. Now he had to do the same for Fyfa. It was one way he could show his thanks.

But his whole mood quickly shifted again as the door of the cottage opened in front of him. He took in Fyfa, in one sweep. Dropped the firewood and pushed her inside. Oh, it had defiantly change his mood and he was out for blood.