Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Ida was the first to spot them. Her welcoming smile soon transformed into a furrowed brow of confusion. Worry tinging her eyes as she gazed upon them wearily, wondering what was happening. Hamish held her hand tightly, as if worried she would flee from him, and to be frankly honest, the thought had crossed her mind a time or two. Not that she would stand a chance of getting away, not when Hamish was the one who was after her.

They were only a few steps away when she finally turned towards them, wondering what had claimed Ida’s attention. Her shock was quickly and artfully covered, and simpering delight soon followed. “Oh Hamish, it has been too long, would you not say.” Fyfa clenched her jaw as the woman lay her hand upon Hamish’s free arm and looked adoringly up at him from her lashes. She felt ready to rip the woman’s hand away, or completely off, whichever occurred she did not mind. Only to be stopped short as she felt the large warm fingers entwined with hers give a comforting squeeze.

Pausing to take a deep breath, she let her gaze take in Hamish for the first time, and the hard look upon his face. She had not seen him look so in a long time, and the fact this woman had put it there made her heart soar and sink at the same time. He did not feel for the woman as he did for her, but she still held a power over him to hold him ransom to his emotions.

“Janetta.” His voice was whip sharp. Though she did not seem to notice. Taking his attention as an invitation to step closer, only for his fingers to clench tighter against her already crushed ones. Not that Fyfa was going to complain in any way. It meant he needed her in that moment. Needed her to keep him centred. She kept silent allowing him this fight, for this was his to have and face, though she could not leave him now. “Yes, Hamish, I was fortunate enough to catch your Aunt just now, and she mentioned you were here.” Fyfa almost laughed as Janetta fluttered her lashes. Could she really not see Hamish’s reaction to her? Ida, Fyfa could tell from one glance, had caught onto Hamish’s mood and was unsure how to proceed at present.

“Janetta.” Hamish’s jaw had a little tick starting, his teeth clenched together, Fyfa was a feared he would harm himself because of this woman. He gave a small squeeze once more of her fingers, before he released her, and moved slowly but with confidence to take a hold of Janetta’s hand, and removing it from his arm. Her perfect complexion was marred by the tiniest frown, before she schooled her features once more. “Janetta, may I introduce my wife, Fyfa.” His gaze never left the woman before him, but Janetta’s shark eyes zeroed in on her immediately, sizing her up as an adversary. As if she could try and break apart the union they had made together.

Fyfa caught the quick glance Janetta sent Hamish’s way, and her attitude became sickly sweet. Catching a hold of one of Fyfa’s hands, squeezing it almost painfully, as her smile held a dark edge. “So happy to meet the woman who captured Hamish. He has been alone to long, do you not think?” The implication was clear to all who the last to hold Hamish’s attention had been, and exactly what she thought of the woman Hamish had chosen instead of her.